Tau Labs OP CC board and JR/Spektrum radios

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi all,
As I continue to try to get my camera mount playing in the same sandbox as the CC board I'm wondering which firmware to use. I suppose if I'm going to use a receiver like the JR 921 then I upload the PWM firmware and use the multi-color cable supplied with the board. Reading through the wiki it appears that the "Flexi-port" will accept a JR satellite but I've got to replace the connector with a JST-SH connector and upload the -DSM2SAT- firmware, right so far?
It's a basic question but I'm going through my set-up and wondering why it isn't working yet so I thought I'd start by asking about the simple stuff and maybe clear this up for myself and others.
Thanks,
Bart

tucker

Bart, this should be a useful thread for a lot of people. The only real frustration I had with setting up my CC board was with not really knowing what firmware to use. I am using a DX8 w/ AR8000 and satellite remote. I was thinking I had to choose a Spektrum firware. I chose PWM then it worked!

Sebbie

Bartman,
This is interesting to myself as well, just hope its not a can of worms we are opening here lol

Bartman

it just seems like added complexity to use a JR or Spektrum receiver in PWM mode if the CC board will take orders straight from the satellite using the DSM2SAT firmware.
anyone?

Borneoben

I would also like to know an answer to this.

Also how do you then Bind the Satellites to your TX?

Do you bind the Satellites before you connect them to the CC board with a normal RX and then connect to CC board?

Cheers

Ben

matwelli

I havent done it, so take the below with a grain of salt

First the satellite needs to be bound to the TX, do this the normal way ie plugged into a reciever, and bind the reciever/satilite

the software to use is this one fw_coptercontrol-dsm2sat-20110608-1ac92643.opfw

Bartman

Ben,
I haven't done this either but if I were an enterprising young Kiwi ;) I'd probably make up a few dozen Spektrum to JST-SH cables and offer them for sale.
I don't know if this works or not but it appears to be possible and worth trying.
Let us know if you do it and how it works!
Bart

Borneoben

Well... If i can do a deal with Crash on his Spare CC board!

I will be sure to give it a try and report back!!

It would make the wiring so much neater, that is the joy of using just the satellite on it own and i would have all 7 channels of my DX7 available.

Cheers

Bartman

is the adapter just a Spektrum plug to JST-SH adapter or are there brains in there of some sort?
thanks,
bart

ovdt

Here what it is said to be:

"it is a serial cable utilizing the flex port of CC and allowing you to directly connect your satellite rx to the board solder-less at the same time having the voltage regulated from the 5v to 3v of the cc board."