OH NO! Where did that smoke come from????

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have under development a direct drive torque motor system which will kill off servo drives for good. Much faster response and much more accurate. 50,000 possible positions in 360 degrees. High sensitivity gyros are built into each separate axis. The first planned production unit will be based on a tiny 3 axis mount for the GoPro2.

PLEASE keep us informed on that Denny..

Dave

DennyR

Dave
It's early days but I have a proof of concept design that works. Manufacturing in Cyprus is a bad idea so I will outsource that after a few more preproduction tests. I would consider this to be a major breakthrough for what is a badly needed solution thats affordable small and light.

ZAxis

Dave
It's early days but I have a proof of concept design that works. Manufacturing in Cyprus is a bad idea so I will outsource that after a few more preproduction tests. I would consider this to be a major breakthrough for what is a badly needed solution thats affordable small and light.

Sounds like an interesting project. Without giving too much away is there any chance of seeing how well your proof of concept actually performs ?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
For what it's worth I am using 7.4 volts to my servos on the camera mount (DJI system). You need as much speed from the servos as you can get with high res servos. Also I changed to direct drive from the geared mount. This is quite different from my own camera stabiliser which can work with 4-1 drive. The DJI camera outputs can be set to give a very good resolution to the disturbance but the response speed needs to be faster.

I have under development a direct drive torque motor system which will kill off servo drives for good. Much faster response and much more accurate. 50,000 possible positions in 360 degrees. High sensitivity gyros are built into each separate axis. The first planned production unit will be based on a tiny 3 axis mount for the GoPro2.

I've found 6 volts to be quite sufficient using the Savox hi-res servos with the DJI, both on the AV130 and also with the Coptersky 2 axis GoPro mount. I tried higher voltages but it actually made the performance worse, the servos had a tendency to get jittery and center poorly at higher than 6.5 volts, 6.2 volts is where I have both CC BEC set to and that seems to be the optimum when used with the DJI.

I'm finding the high speed high resolution servos on 6 volts to be able to keep the horizon level in both roll and tilt axis even when flying in ways you would never consider when doing APV, here's a sample of what I mean, watch from about 3:25 onwards. Until the compensation circuitry gets a lot better I don't think you can ask for much more than this...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: