New flyer

gnxsam

Is the taranis x9d+ ideal for a new flyer? I'm getting a speed addict kit and was thinking to get the RTF despite having to get the turnigy radio. I think learning to fly the drone and taranis programming in the beginning may be a bit much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan on using it for multiple planes and drones it may be a good choice. I found it a bit overwhelming too at first but there are tons of you tube videos and user groups out there showing how to set it up. I liked it better than the spectrum DX8. If your new its fine to go with the RTF stuff until you know for sure what direction you want to go.

Ray Dove Choi

You can get the QX7 which is a quite bit cheaper if you want open TX. It had a few buttons, which you might not miss using of you are flying quads. I'd really get the QX7 over the X9D+, and save the difference to get myself a few receivers and lipos.
But the Turnigy Evolution is a actually a great choice! Not only for a beginner. There are a lot of experienced pilots who use it, they have been out of stock for a good reason. I have both and the Spektrum Dx8, they all good radios, if you wanna go with Spektrum, you can get the Dx6, or the cheaper dx6e. The only thing is that it doesn't run open TX. But construction quality is quite a step up. Stock gimbals feel great. Better than frsky stock gimbals. But you can upgrade with m9 hall sensor gimbals, but that's an extra 40$.

So you can't go wrong with either of these radios but for quad racing & freestyle, the Evolution is really great, small easy to pack, and cheap. But if you want open TX I'd get the QX7,! If I didn't have radio and I was too buy a Taranis now, I would buy the QX7. It has all the bells and whistles I would need, with a beautiful design that feels great in hang.
By the way, Speed Addict is a great choice! What size are you getting? Catalyst Machineworks design some of the best racers out there!