Need help in setup of Futaba 18MZ with NAZA assistant

Hi all. Being an absolute newbie with no experience with setting up a Tx I need help with some out standing setup on my Futaba. I've got my quad flying & GPS seems to work & my last setup is failsafe. I want to be able to set say switch SF to trigger failsafe whilst in one of the DJI modes & don't fully understand how to do this on the TX & don't understand the following:-
1. End points (particularly on the Tx - Limit & Travel on left & right & which channel for fail safe?
2. Setting up rotating knob (say LD) for gain?
3. How to set Fail Safe throttle %?
4. What should I control on channel 6?
5. What do I need to set up on the Failsafe menu of the Tx?
6. Don't understand the purpose of channels X1 & X2/
7. Do I have the correct "x" distance for my GPS puck which is located on the tail?

Some images of my current NAZA setup + TX setup are shown below.

Sorry to sound like an asolut idiot with a big toy but I can't find any how-to guides anywhere that show setup using the 18MZ.:nevreness: Any assistance appreciated as I don't want to fly the quad far unless I have Failsafe working.

View attachment 12267View attachment 12268

Attachments

• NAZA + Tx settings (1).jpg
    NAZA + Tx settings (1).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 413
  • NAZA + Tx settings (2).jpg
    NAZA + Tx settings (2).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 376

As for programming Failsafe, I using the program mix at active a curve based on the Man/Att/GPS switch, so that the output of that channel is then in the Failsafe region of the mode. Here's a link that gave me this idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg
That link should answer a few of your questions you listed. The instructions are for an 8FG, but most of your functions/controls are going to be very much the same.

Naza inputs X1 and X2 are multipurpose inputs you can assign as you wish. If you have a gimbal connected to your MR, you can use X1 to control the pitch (i.e. downward/forward tilt) of the camera, which is your channel 6 if you are using SBUS. Otherwise, you can choose to use that for gains. X2 can be used for gain tuning, or more ideally, IOC mode control. What I would recommend is that you enable gain tuning, and assign the X1 and X2 to inputs to your LD and RD knobs, but do this only when you are actively trying to establish your gains. Once you are confortable with the gains, go into the Assistant Software and disable them (i.e pick INH for each of the gain fields). Then enable IOC for X2, and keep X1 unused (if you have no gimbal) or enable it for gimbal pitch.

If you are using SBUS between your Rx and Naza, you don't *need* to program failsafe parameters from your Tx (except the Failsafe switch described above) because the Naza will switch to Failsafe if it detects loss of reception. Otherwise, if you are using individual control lines, you'll want to set your throttle failsafe to something above 10% (read that somewhere in the manual) so that the motors don't shut off.

The only end point you should have to set is the U, or channel 5, output. This is because, as you can see from the Assistant Software, that 0 and 100% do not map to any mode. You'll need to bring those endpoints towards the middle until the Assistant Software highlights in blue the modes you want.

As for your GPS position, I can't tell you if you have the correct number. Just read the manual and it explains the x/y/z, and positive/negative sign for each axis. Measure these from the aircraft center of gravity.

I hope this helps some, and I hope I was able to answer each of your questions. Again, I would recommend watching the video above and it's #2 part as well. It's not an 18MZ, but the Futaba functions and philosophy are pretty similar and it should help. Feel free to post most questions as they come up.

Hi ProPilotWannaBe

You're a champion mate! The videos you've recommended are the closest to step by step instruction which I could nit find on the net. I would never have worked the endpoints & channel mixing ottherwise. The problem is the Futaba 18MZ has very little "How-to" videos & being an absolute newbie, I've had to interpolate Futaba 8G system with the 18MZ menus etc.

I've only got a minor tweek on an endpoint & I'll be out testing.

Thanks again & thank God for forums like this otherwise we'd never get off the ground!!!!!! :tennis: