Naza M V2 vs Naza M-Lite

soulrider911

Hi guys I'm in the process of researching some choppers, I'm a novice and plan on getting a f550 and putting a gimbal on it and just having fun, nothing professional. So my question is why would I need a Naza v2 over a Naza m-lite? I'm having a hard time figuring out the main differences, thanks in advance

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am more than happy for what I do to stick with my V1's in my Disco's, V2's would be overkill, Lites would probably be plenty.

Pete

soulrider911

Thanks guys, I noticed on shi'a site it says the lite is not compatible with the zen muse, does that mean I can't run a gimbal

The Naza Lite is effectively a V1 that has been locked to old firmware, and thus does not take advantage of the dozens of software tweaks and advancements that have gone into the Naza-M V1 and V2. The Lite is a bit less stable, the GPS doesn't function well until it's warmed up, etc. That having been said...it flies pretty well for what it costs and is quite fun once you get used to its peculiarities. I fly a 'lite' on my FPV quad. If you're primarily building the craft for fun...the Lite should work just fine. :)

The Naza Lite is not compatible with the Zenmuse, so you cannot use the Zenmuse H3-2d gimbal. You can, however, use just about any other gimbal that your 550 can carry. You'll just need to make sure that the device you choose has its own gimbal controller board.

questech

naza -m v2 has better stabilization algorithm, heres video for proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5daRzYpY0 :) who flies atti/gps these days anyway lol manual only way ftw

Hello ryhza

Not to be argumentative, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that video doesn't prove anything to me.

When someone tells you that "here's proof" or a video intro states that what follows is proof of something... that is a technique that uses the seeding of a thought, which in turn influences the observer. What follows could be the exact opposite of proof, but the observer is influenced by the statement and is more likely to accept what they experience as "proof".

This particular video doesn't prove anything except that on one occasion the side-by-side showed the V2 performing better than the Naza-M, but then later they are flying side-by-side again and the Naza-M is just as stable. What were the wind conditions for each of the flights? How do we even know what FC was in the MR for each video? The MRs weren't actually flying side-by-side, the shot is of 2 separate flights edited side-by-side, so there is no credible bases for the statement.

I have both in MRs that I fly under the same conditions, one after the other and I can't see a significant difference. In fact, the same MR could fly extremely stable for one flight, and then not so stable the very next flight moments later after a battery change.

I'm sure with the proper testing you could identify flight characteristics that might show some "proof" of differences, but I think that the inconsistencies that exist within the Naza family of FCs would prove that you really get what you get on a flight-by-flight basis.

DJI of course would have you believe differently.

Just my opinion based on my own extensive testing under quasi scientific conditions :nevreness:

DennyR

I have several Naza's in different models and I cant see any evidence at all that the stab algorithm is different. They all fly the same and very well I would say. The key is getting the Calib. done right. It is quite amazing just how much lean from level can be set and it still levels itself on lift off. Try doing that with a 2.6 Ardupilot....
I don't even see any difference in the flight characteristics when I swop to a WKM FWIW. A few firmware versions ago I did notice a difference in the initial lift off but that seems to have been used on all of them now.

Last edited by a moderator:

questech

I have several Naza's in different models and I cant see any evidence at all that the stab algorithm is different. They all fly the same and very well I would say. The key is getting the Calib. done right. It is quite amazing just how much lean from level can be set and it still levels itself on lift off. Try doing that with a 2.6 Ardupilot....
I don't even see any difference in the flight characteristics when I swop to a WKM FWIW. A few firmware versions ago I did notice a difference in the initial lift off but that seems to have been used on all of them now.

The one thing that worries me (besides the lack of direct support) with the NAZA systems is the Fly-Away issues that have been reported.

I had 2 such incedents almost happen to me... and I say almost because I was able to hard land the MR, and by that I mean it hit some bushes before it could escape my grasp, and the damage was minimal.

Worth Noting: I noticed something which I am certain is the cause of some of these reports.

I was twaeking my Phantom on a workbench and I had it armed but the motors hadn't been started yet. I was moving it about the bench (not supposed to move once powered up) and then after a while I armed it and ran up the motors. I began moving it around the bench some more to observe what would happen. Without powering down the TX or Phantom, I brought it to the garage to see how it would hover after the motion tests I had just put it through.

Well it didn't hover, in fact it made a B-line (on the ground) to the side of the garage and the wall stopped it. In the process I tried to kill the motors, but they wouldn't respond.

An Aha moment.

I powered everything down and brought the Phantom outside and whent through the normal power-up sequence and it flew just fine.

Another time I had the Phantom outside and I went through the power-up sequence as normal, but I had to wait for clearance and prior to getting it I moved the Phantom when turning on the camera. In flight I experienced the "almost" fly-away mentioned above.

Another time I had my Octo out and after a couple of successful flights, instead of powering down to reload my new batteries, I just swapped one out at a time, leaving the unit powered up. I may or may not have moved the octo in the process.

Once I took off it flew fine for a few minutes, and then some very erratic behavior ensued. It was windy and the octo was fighting for stability and suddenly it took a huge dip forward, loosing about 3' of altitude in the process. It happened again and again (because I needed to know what was happening and why, I didn't land).

I noticed that my M1 motor was stalling. For a split second the M1 motor would stop and start up again causing the erratic flight.

Upon landing I checked my amperage on that motor and found that it had spiked to 23.5 amps. That motor never pulled more than 18.5 amps before so this was a significant event.

I shut the system down and waited for about an hour then put it back up in the air, and after 15 or so flights, the problem never resurfaced.

My conclusion is that a) Naza No Like being moved on the ground... b) Naza No Like long periods of time between arming and initial motor start-up.

These tests were conducted under loose conditions and are not scientific, or to be construed as authoritative, bu they are observances that I think have merit.

I consider this a bit too erratic for my tastes so that coupled with the lack of support that I have received from DJI, I'm looking for more stable solutions.

I have read really good things about the XAircraft SuperX and have decided to put that in my current build, which is a 1200mm+ Heavy Lift Camera Platform.

I'll keep you posted :)

SMP

God forbid I start agreeing with Denny but yeah... I don't feel any appreciable difference between the WKM, NazaM and Naza Lite... Our philosophy is basically smaller birds that aren't coax get Naza Lites, Coaxials get Regular NazaM and the Heavies get WKM...

Concur.. If you plug in and then move the bird, you can get erratic behaviour. We plug in one batt and dont touch for at least 15-20 seconds, then plug in the second batt, or start gopros, reposition etc. etc...

questech

God forbid I start agreeing with Denny but yeah... I don't feel any appreciable difference between the WKM, NazaM and Naza Lite... Our philosophy is basically smaller birds that aren't coax get Naza Lites, Coaxials get Regular NazaM and the Heavies get WKM...

Concur.. If you plug in and then move the bird, you can get erratic behaviour. We plug in one batt and dont touch for at least 15-20 seconds, then plug in the second batt, or start gopros, reposition etc. etc...

Thanks for the feedback!!

Have you looked at the XAircraft SuperX?

I'd be interested in your opinion.

I think I'm going to buy one in the next couple of hours.

Thanks Again!!

Anthony