Mounting a multirotor gimbal on a full size heli..?

barnytj

Has anyone mounted a multirotor gimbal (AV200 or similar) on a full size heli?

There must be a way to do it that envelops the gimbal in a wind and weather resistant casing.. obviously weight becomes less of an issue.

Anyone with any experience or ideas on how to do it, please let me know..

Barny

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hello Barny,

How come I don't know you already? I'm an ex-Kenyan, currently freezing in France, I am sure you know Eric H?

Anyway, a gimbal is a gimbal, whether for MR or SR use, and wind/weather protection is not really that essential. If it is not completely airtight - and I don't know of any that are - it will just get dusty inside and be more difficult to clean the camera etc. Gimbals were being mounted on heli's long before multi-rotors were dreamed up so it is not really a new challenge, other than tackling the different vibration on a single rotor heli if you come from the MR world.

You will face the basic choice of front-mounted or underslung camera mount/gimbal. Front-mounted keeps the heli CofG closer to the rotorhead and tailboom line but invariably necessitates counter-balance weights on the tail boom, unless things are changed around. If it is to be an electric SR heli then the main power batteries are very useful for counter-balance use as you are not adding any more weight than would have to be carried anyway. Actually mounting the camera mount to the heli is more involved as some sort of support has to be fashioned for it to hang from. This support has to sturdy but also vibration isolated. THAT is your main challenge.

Underslung is usually a self contained frame containing your 2 or 3 axis gimbal and all related batteries, gyros/stablisation, downlink etc. slung from the skids with foam tubes and bungie. This method can offer unrestricted 360° pan, whereas a front-mount is limited by the heli frame behind and skids below. However, it can also de-stabilise your whole rig and needs to be substantial enough for a few 'bumpy' landings. One more thing. The Pan axis. People tend to go a bit crazy when they have a Pan axis to play with. It is so easy to over-use it with the camera darting left and right. It does not make for satisfying viewing and should be used only to make a point with a specific subject. Your most useful axis is Tilt, given that the Roll axis should just be left alone to hold the horizontal, and by enlarge the camera should be left to record what it sees without constant movement.

ChrisViperM

Hi Mombasa, I guess he is talking about a REAL helicopter....that one you can sit inside.....:tennis:

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

barnytj

Thanks MombasaFlash,

I do indeed know Eric H.. He has a SR rig here in Nairobi, and lives just around the corner from me, in fact we're meant to be meeting for a drink next week.

I have a Skyjib 8 with AV200 here, and so am fairly familiar with a conventional gimbal setup.. and am not quite sure you got the fact that I am actually looking to mount one on a full size helicopter (one where the pilot sits inside!) that will be used by a television news station to cover elections etc. As being so much larger, I was wandering if anything could be done with a casing to offer some more protection from the elements, and the buffeting from the rotors.. weight is not so much of an issue..

I do get your point about dust. I would be looking to put a pan function on it, and would probably go for an HD Sony camcorder with image stabilization and a LANC output so zoom can also be controlled. I would also look at powering the gimbal and video tx from the heli itself - thus negating the need for batteries.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Duh. Read it the post properly .... stupido!

Back on track now. Denny will point you towards a video he shot recently from a Hughes 500 (I think) using a zenmuse pointing out of the open door. Looked really, really good. Another Nairobi gent contacted me a while back with the same application in mind - aerial camera for news stations during election riots and such. At least you will have a bit of time to get organised since they keep putting the elections back. Is it still next March or have they postponed it again?

He was interested in the Copterworks heli, with its hour long flight flight capability, but getting KCAA approval would have been a fruitless nightmare. Maybe a bit of kitu kidogo in the right place would still work! :)