Motors become warm after flying with new battery

Ethan Johnson

So I have a quadcopter that I built and that I've had for a couple of months which has worked wonderfully. But now there is a problem somewhere among the battery, ESCs, and the motors because after I received my new 3s 5000 mah lipo, the motors would become hot and the battery life would be only a few minutes.

My old batteries were 3s 2200 mah lipos and the motors would never become hot. The flight time on the old batteries was around 6-7 minutes which is why I decided to upgrade to a larger battery.

I first tried to use a 4s 5000 mah lipo which would last for about 15 minutes for the first few flights before I realized that the motors weren't designed to take the higher voltage that comes from 4s batteries. I replaced all of the motors and downgraded to the 3s battery that I'm now having trouble with.

Now the new motors are becoming warm after each flight which lasts around 3 minutes. The motors' max output of amps is 14.5 and the ESCs' max ouptut is 20A. All of the batteries that I have ever used are 25-35c.

If anybody could make sense of what's going on here that would be great!

Thanks,
Ethan

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
They will get warm, completely normal. Low volts higher amps higher volts lower amps. Also depending on the Prop your using, you make be drawing more amps than the motors can handle.

Gator

Your 5000mah battery is most assuredly much heavier than your old 2200math battery. You need to figure out what the load capacity of your motors are with the props that you are running.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
Yep so warm is OK for the motor which means they are drawing more amps BUT you need to know how many amps you are drawing using a WATT meter. As long as your motors are operating withing the max amp ratings of your motors you are fine.