More rubbish Japanese computer support

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I was annoyed to discover that the Sony NEX-5n does not feature an a/v live video output for the downlink. This was overcome by buying an HDMI to composite video converter. In the meantime, an uncorrupted pdf Owner's Manual just does not exist. Every single link (including the supplied NOISY-AS-HELL CD) is corrupted with gobble-de-gook down the navigation column.

The first test flight produces very encouraging looking video - when viewed on the camera's own screen - but 50fps cannot be imported on a Mac. The supplied (Sony rubbish) software is PC only for the movie import functions. With a Mac they only allow you to access photos. What a load of B/S.

Panasonic is not that much better, using the ancient and slow PCMCIA card format for its P2 range.

Canon software is rubbish. Nikon software is rubbish.

They can make great products but why are the Japanese so computer backward?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Buy Aunsoft's mts to mov converter. Worth every penny. Or just pop it right in after effects or premiere. It is highly annoying though that the MAc can't preview files like I can with the .mov's that come from my canon. You dont need a manual, just play with it for a few days and you will get it it down. Or ask the forum community as a lot of us have that camera now.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks for the suggestions guys but Sony wins again. The firmware upgrader doesn't work - it cannot find the camera. Anyway, it still will not allow the video to be imported on a Mac - well .... Final Cut 'sees' 25p and 50i but not 50p. Their support pages lead you in circles back to the same unhelpful page and the v.3 firmware is nowhere to be found - despite being recommended in their support FAQ's. What a shambles. To illustrate how switched on Sony is in general, check out the downloadable manuals for the 5n. The ONLY one that I found that is not corrupted is the manual in Arabic.

I'd better stop. None of this belongs here anyway!

Mombasaflash...suggest you take a chill pill and relax
Manual is fine here http://www.sony.co.nz/support/product/nex-5n
A
lso re AVCHD vs iMovie in general, yes its a pain in the *** but give apple time to update there software...support is all over the net on the various workflows
The NEX5 and the NEX series is some kick *** kit and the PMB software for the PC is also kickass and free!(Show me better bundled software from any brand) its hard to find better gear so chillax!, Sony doesnt write Apple software

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Mombasaflash...suggest you take a chill pill and relax....

Well said!

Must be the wrong time of the month. I get like that when I am confronted with the Wonderful Windows World.

Turns out it is only the 50P option that is not recognised by FCP (or iMovie) because the current AVCHD standard is only for 25fps. Shoot at 25P or 50i and it imports easy-peasy just like any other MTS container file with FCP importing it as ProRes (and bumping the file size up from 1.6GB to 15GB).

The Aunsoft converter is useful for doing the same conversion of the 50P files.

As for the manual, this is what they ALL look like (except the Arabic language version where the navigation column on the right is displayed correctly - although it actually looks sort of similar :02.47-tranquillity: - and works):

009.5N_manual.jpg

Attachments

• 009.5N_manual.jpg
    009.5N_manual.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 302

Stacky

Download mpeg streamclip, its free and do your movie conversions there before importing into your editing software. Take some time to hunt for some how to videos on youtube for mpeg streamclip. Its available for both mac and pc. It will help your workflow considerably once you learn the best way to use it.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Download mpeg streamclip...

Don't really need it. I prefer to import directly whenever possible and, but for the 50fps issue which Aunsoft's MTS to M2TS converter handles (thank you IrisAerial), the Sony NEX-5 files actually show up without a problem. My little rant was a result of my setting the 5N to record at 50fps and, as explained earlier, this is not currently supported within the standard AVCHD profile.

But thanks anyway.

Macsgrafs

I hate to say it; but Sony SUCK!!!!
I have a mate who repairs notebooks & he tells me the main ones he gets come in the door are sony vaio's.....tell's me that after I bought one...then mine went wrogn 3 months after buying (bluray packed up)...then my 4 month old PS3 bluray packed up! I was looking at sony cameras; but after the hassle I've had & poor customer services...never again!
Hope you find a cure for any problems you get.

Ross

Nelson223

Wow this is good informaiton about computers actually i am doing computer repair Business and deal in all kind of computer sale and purchase and also repairing and i have also made my shop's official web site and deals in very low rate of repairing and sales of computer and parts this is good business and have a reasonable profit and also a reasonable work of this Computer Repairing Business...

DennyR

I think what you need for your mac is a decent video card like the Black magic Decklink HD extreme. It comes with all the codecs you will ever need. Blistering speed. The one that I have is a bit out of date now so they are probably better and cheaper now. You simply cant work with a mac without a pro card. From about 500 to 15K depending on what you want to do. The FCP manual even tells you that the standard one needs to be changed.

Last edited by a moderator: