Mikrokopter MK FC and power ring question...........

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi all,
If I have a functioning Mikrokopter FC and a functioning power distribution board but no motors wired up yet, can I connect the two to MKtool and verify that the I2c bus is good OR does MKtool require motors to be wired before it can assess I2c functionality?

Does anyone know a fixed point on the BL where I2C continuity can be tested to the C and D pads at the inner edge of the ring?

Thanks,
Bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
Hi all,
If I have a functioning Mikrokopter FC and a functioning power distribution board but no motors wired up yet, can I connect the two to MKtool and verify that the I2c bus is good OR does MKtool require motors to be wired before it can assess I2c functionality?

Does anyone know a fixed point on the BL where I2C continuity can be tested to the C and D pads at the inner edge of the ring?

Thanks,
Bart
You should be able to see proper I2C communication when the BL-Ctrls are powered.

There is a test procedure in the .de wiki for the BL-Ctrls, AFAIR.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Bart

Check this link out..

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-26992.html

This has some really useful measurements in there. You can check as you build. First solder the molex and add any bridges required. Add fC and power from battery. Plug in MK tools and check for 12c errors., you will get an error BL1 missing. Now add BL 1 and check again.. you will get an error saying BL2 missing. You should still have no 12c fault. Continually add bl's checking each one is seen as you go.. Bingo no head scratching wondering which BL is causing the problem!
Hope this helps.. as you can see from the hread I was pulling my hair out

Dave

Mactadpole

I received my new assembled okto xl distro board with 2.0 BL's yesterday and just did some inspection, continuity, and resistance checks. I first blew off the board with compressed air and then took a look under a dissecting microscope and did not see any stray bits of solder. I then began with a continuity check between all C & D pads I could find (including molex connection) = all good (no reading). I then compared all the C's and then all D's = all good (continuity readings started at a large number and then dropped). I then did the resistance check according to the link in the above link (http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post316045.html#post316045). When I check ground to C's and D's I get readings of 18-18.5 and the same from the positive to all C & D pads. There is this statement in that link: "THe resistance between C and D should be even larger yet", I get nothing when I touch two adjacent C & D pads or any combination of C & D pads for that matter. Am I missing something? I am a novice when it comes to electricity/circuitry so forgive me for not knowing units and what I should be getting.

Thanks,

Shawn

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I received my new assembled okto xl distro board with 2.0 BL's yesterday and just did some inspection, continuity, and resistance checks. I first blew off the board with compressed air and then took a look under a dissecting microscope and did not see any stray bits of solder. I then began with a continuity check between all C & D pads I could find (including molex connection) = all good (no reading). I then compared all the C's and then all D's = all good (continuity readings started at a large number and then dropped). I then did the resistance check according to the link in the above link (http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post316045.html#post316045). When I check ground to C's and D's I get readings of 18-18.5 and the same from the positive to all C & D pads. There is this statement in that link: "THe resistance between C and D should be even larger yet", I get nothing when I touch two adjacent C & D pads or any combination of C & D pads for that matter. Am I missing something? I am a novice when it comes to electricity/circuitry so forgive me for not knowing units and what I should be getting.

Thanks,

Shawn

I usually get a reading of open or no continuity when checking C to D on a good PDB, I've never checked one with an F/C in circuit so maybe it should read something when it's all hooked up. I'd have to pull the dome on one of mine and check it to see, could do that later today if you'd like.

The important thing is there being no direct short between them or to ground, next step is to power it with either a benchtop power supply at very low current or use a 9V radio battery with F/C connected and hooked up to MKtool, should get green lights all the way around and no errors in the tool.

Ken

Mactadpole

I usually get a reading of open or no continuity when checking C to D on a good PDB, I've never checked one with an F/C in circuit so maybe it should read something when it's all hooked up. I'd have to pull the dome on one of mine and check it to see, could do that later today if you'd like.

The important thing is there being no direct short between them or to ground, next step is to power it with either a benchtop power supply at very low current or use a 9V radio battery with F/C connected and hooked up to MKtool, should get green lights all the way around and no errors in the tool.

Ken

Here is what the post says: Measure the resistance to ground from the C and D lines respectively. They should be about the same, and much larger than zero. THe resistance between C and D should be even larger yet. Measure the resistance to the +12V line from C and D also (without power of course). If near zero, there is something seriously wrong --> do not apply power.
Do not plug in a battery for first test power. One little mistake, and something could blow up. The batteries can pump out 100s of amperes, eliminating anything that comes in their way. Use a regulated lab supply instead, or if not available, a 12V supply that cannot output an awful lot of current (1A is fine). At the very least, connect an automotive headlamp bulb in series with the battery - it will light up if there is a serious short circuit / reversed polarity, and damage will be limited.

So I think they mean to do all that with no power applied, but the "resistance between C and D should be even larger yet" is the part I don't get. I get 0 which makes sense since nothing should be traveling between C & D pads. Which is what you said you get.

Shawn