Looking to upgrade motors

Keshav

Hello to everyone, i have recently used a dji f450 kit and i used my own parts and did my own modifications. i use a 20A ESC and a 920 Kv motor with a 4s 5200 MAH battery. i would like to upgrade the motor so my drone can be a bit heavier but still have the same performance and can lift up better.

What should i use to get a better lift and a bit better performance. is a 650 kv motor good or a 1200 kv motor

Thanking the community in advance

jamesb72

Hello to everyone, i have recently used a dji f450 kit and i used my own parts and did my own modifications. i use a 20A ESC and a 920 Kv motor with a 4s 5200 MAH battery. i would like to upgrade the motor so my drone can be a bit heavier but still have the same performance and can lift up better.

What should i use to get a better lift and a bit better performance. is a 650 kv motor good or a 1200 kv motor

Higher kv will spin faster for same voltage so either motors will need different props. I'm guessing your running 9x4 approx for 4s with 920kv so that is pretty optimal for f450 frame so changing motors and props will probably need bigger esc and frame - which is a whole new quad.

There are online calculators if you start with payload you can work through battery motor prop combinations to suit.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
KV means almost nothing you need to motor specs, you need to know KV, Max Voltage, max amps and spec on thrust for a given prop and voltage, you need to generate thrust at 50% to be able to hover with the given weight of your total weight. Higher volt motors draw less current, bigger props make more lift at lower RPM.

Hi-Flyer

Hi There!

I have a F450 clone and with a 1000kV motor and 9050 props it works fine.

Higher kV motors have higher RPM but don't have the "punch" or "power" to spin larger props. Therefore having a higher kV motor with smaller prop is equivalent more or less to flying off a lower kV motor but with a larger prop.

However 20A ESCs seem quite an underestimate.... I'm flying off 30A ones and they sometimes overheat.

Also 4s 5000mAh seems crazy of a battery!

I can barely get mine to hover at 75% throttle with a 50003s....

Mine works best with one 2200-3000mAh...

Cheers and Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk