LiPo chargers

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
As I continue to get more involved in this, I'm finding my Cellpro chargers need some reinforcement. I don't mind buying two more of the Cellpro Multi 4 chargers but i thought I'd ask what all y'all are using on your LiPos.

I'm thinking charge times of about 15 to 20 minutes for a depleted 5000 mah 4S pack would be a good target. Of course, with more chargers comes the need for a more robust power supply, something capable of handling either 2 or 4 separate chargers at the same time but I think I can figure out that part myself.

Cost IS an issue.

Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I like my Hyperion 615 I Duo 3, I can sync charge pairs of matched packs as though they are one big pack, works great for the Droidworx and Hoverfly which both fly on pairs of packs. Downside is the Hyperions tend to be a bit pricey but you can find deals if you shop the net with a good search engine, and they need a separate power supply to work. It's OK when I go the flying field as we have a generator onsite with wiring to power panels delivering both AC and DC power, I can plug direct into DC. Elsewhere the remote power supply is just one more chunk of electronics to lug around assuming there'll be AC power to plug into.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Bart the ICharger 206B is the best thing I've bought in RC since being in the Hobby hands down and I fly more than the Hexa. It can charge up to 6 Lipos at once in about 45 minutes, It's a godsend. If I have a power supply I can fly and charge all day with out interruption.

Bartman

eric,
just saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczQwVTI2bY

can you add or remove packs during that charge cycle? the thing I like about having four separate chargers is that as I fly I can put spent packs onto an open charger and by the time the last ones are used, the first ones will be charged. can i do that with the charger you mentioned?

thanks for the tip,
bart

I don't think you can add or remove while charging as you want to charge the six lipos when they are near the same capacity. I have a couple of different sets of lipos, all that fly in series. I charge a couple of thunderpower 2S 5000mah batteries together, I have 4 turnigy 2S 4500mah lipos that I charge together, and I have 6 turnigy 2S 2600mah lipos that I charge together exactly as you see in that video. We plan on buying a lot more lipos as well if we get this contract we're going for so It really is a god send no more waiting for 45 minutes for one battery to charge.

Bartman

Thanks for the input Eric. I'm going to keep kicking this around. How many amps are you putting into any one pack at a time? I've been under the impression that you shouldn't charge LiPo's at any more than 4 amps but is that 4 amps per cell or 4 amps total for the pack?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks for the input Eric. I'm going to keep kicking this around. How many amps are you putting into any one pack at a time? I've been under the impression that you shouldn't charge LiPo's at any more than 4 amps but is that 4 amps per cell or 4 amps total for the pack?

The standard is 1 amp per 1000 mAh of pack capacity, or 1C. If a pack is 2000 mAh then a 1C charge is 2 amps. Most packs today can withstand a 2C charge no problem, so that would be 4 amps for that 2000 mAh pack. When you buy a pack it should say on it somewhere how many C is the maximum charge capacity and most of 4C or higher packs are the ones that cost big $$$. The Turningy packs I use on the Silver Bullet and Hoverfly are all 2C charge rate and speaking of charging the two I have on the charger right now are done and I'm going outside for the last flight of the night.

I LOVE night flying with a quad, I just wish it were a wee bit warmer than the 28 degrees it is right now BRRRRR....

Ken

Bartman

I ordered three more Cellpro Multi4 chargers yesterday. For the money, they're hard to beat and they fit my strategy of getting packs onto chargers as they come off a flight. I hope to fit four into the top of my toolbox along with the power supplies so I can have a portable charging station along with a small generator. I still might go the way Eric suggested and use the battery pack to power the chargers but at the very least I've settled on a charger scheme and can get a layout moving as soon as they get here.
Thanks again for the input. I'll post pics next week when it's all set up.
Bart

Bartman

I had some time today and got my chargers organized in an old toolbox I had in the garage. I'm still debating if I'd like to go with a generator or the battery pack that Eric posted. Until I get a gig, it's really not that big a dilemma :confused:

Attachments

• P1040133.jpg
    P1040133.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 375

Bart, I don't think using the battery back would be very efficient to use as a power source for charging your lipos. I use the battery pack to power my FPV equipment. It powers my FPV RX and the 12 inch monitor we use for FPV. In that application it does great. We used it last week. It powered those two things for at least a half hour straight and had plenty of power when we were done. It will drain quicker though depending on what's plugged in and I think the charger will drain it pretty quick. I could be wrong. I have a power converter that I keep in my truck. It's a little black box with 2 house hold outlets on it attached to a cord that goes to your cars cig. lighter. I've used this while the car was running to charge my Lipos 6 at a time from my Icharger. We used it while traveling between two shoots. By the time we arrived to the 2nd shoot I had 6 fresh batteries. They're like $30 bucks I think at walmart. It has helped me charge cameras last minute, charged my phone, etc.. It's a good investment, would just make sure your cars running.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I use a Large 85amh Leisure battery to charge my 4 pack charger. can balance/charge 4 lipos at 5amp if required. Last ages. At Home I have a 35amh 12V dc converter but before I used that I just used my leisure battery with a constant trickle charge on. No Problems. Dont use a regular car battery as you will soon nacker it up.

Bartman

Thanks for the reply Eric. I thought that that might be the case but figured if you were doing it then it must be OK. If you're not doing it, then that puts that option to bed.
Dave, I think you're referring to what we call a deep cycle battery. It's 12v like a regular lead acid car battery but used for long draws of power and frequent recharges, we usually use them on boats to power radios and stuff while fishing or swimming.
Would you happen to have a link to your battery if it's something different?
Thanks,
Bart

Bartman

I have a power converter that I keep in my truck. It's a little black box with 2 house hold outlets on it attached to a cord that goes to your cars cig. lighter.

i missed this comment in your post when i first read it. i was thinking about how i could splice a 12v line into the charger lines to plug directly into the cigarette lighter but after realizing what you were talking about (i think i have blonde roots sometimes) i realized i could just plug my power supply into the inverter. duh! charging on the drive to the next stop makes sense if you're moving around a lot. it's a good excuse to stop for a donut if you need more time. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BoFWZDqAB0