LiPo battery testing and storing options

Skewp

Hey guys.

Since many people keep a bunch of Lipo batteries at home we decided to test different options for storing them to find the safest one. How do You store Your lipos at home, office or while transporting?

Very good video, after watching I immediately went and pulled the seal out of the 50 cal ammo box I use to store my lipos.

Skewp

Thanks, Sudovoodoo80. Removing the seal seems to be a smart choice - here is a comparisson of two ammo boxes. Guess which one did not have the seal removed.

Attachments

• P1360546.JPG
    P1360546.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 502

violetwolf

This video should be mandatory viewing prior to purchasing LiPo batteries.

Note another option to removing the seal is to drill a few vent holes in the lid.

Thanks for doing this video!

Skewp

This video should be mandatory viewing prior to purchasing LiPo batteries.

Note another option to removing the seal is to drill a few vent holes in the lid.

Thanks for doing this video!

I agree, people who handle LiPos should have more knowledge about them. I know many people who charge/keep their LiPos on the couch etc. I find removing the seal a little better option than drilling holes, since it should contain flames (and everything else hot that might fly out) better due to the fact that everything that wants to come out needs to bounce against the lid before being able to come out.

violetwolf

Puts on engineer's cap..

I like the theory of using the lid flanges as baffles to direct the flashover. How about this: drill 1/2" holes around the top of the box where they will be baffled by the lid flanges and THEN cover the holes with steel mesh as a flame arrestor. It is common practice to use mesh for flame arrest and is the reason fuel tank vents have mesh on them.

(I'm a member of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers)

It might be worth a test (if you have any batteries left lol). To see if you can arrest the open flame exiting the box. It would significantly increase safety if mesh works. (Due to the fact this is a metal fire I think it would need testing to make sure it works)

Cheers Rick

Last edited: