Learning the Basics

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and just starting to explore AP/FPV on my DJI F450. I'm from a background of graphic design and have no real knowledge of basic electronics other than what I've learned to get my F450 airborne. I'm wondering where I should turn to get a fundamental understanding of radio communications, frequencies, etc.

I've notice a ton of jargon on these threads that I don't understand and would love to learn. Any suggestions for a new guy?

Malcr001

Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and just starting to explore AP/FPV on my DJI F450. I'm from a background of graphic design and have no real knowledge of basic electronics other than what I've learned to get my F450 airborne. I'm wondering where I should turn to get a fundamental understanding of radio communications, frequencies, etc.

I've notice a ton of jargon on these threads that I don't understand and would love to learn. Any suggestions for a new guy?

Hi sotomatic, a fellow web designer here. If you want to learn FPV then its all about research. Unfortunatly theres no single source. Most the things Ive learnt all come from forums in fpvlab.com fpvcommunity.com and rcgroups.com (FPV section).

There was an FPV wiki going around one time but it never really kicked off.

Some links to get you started:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?265-Team-BlackSheep-system-setup-philosophies
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=182615

Basic FPV setup would be:
Fatshark dominator goggles with reciever
Video transmitter to mount on platform
Video camera (CCD or pixim based camera)

Acronyms:
LRS = Long Range System
UHF = Ultrahigh frequency (most LRS these days operate on the UHF band)
LOS = Line of sight, (some frequencies are LOS frequencies like 5.8ghz meaning that in order to obtain a good video signal there should be no obstructions between the transmitter and reciever)
RTF = Ready to fly
ARF = Almost Ready to Fly
mhz = megahertz
gHz = gigahertz
tx = Transmitter
vtx = video transmitter
rx = Receiver
RTH = Return to Home
RSSI = Received Signal Strength Indication
GS = Ground station
bec = battery eliminator circuit
mw = milliwatt (power output measurement seen in vtx specs)
lvc = low voltage cutout
HT = Head Tracking
FHSS = Frequency Hopping, Spread Spectrum
Video Splitter = is an amplifier that will alow the user to distribute a video signal to several things at the same time.
BNC - is the connector name/type used for the TX and Booster for my LRS, same connector is used on ethernet systems.
Booster - is an amplifier that will take radio signals and boost them up to a more powerfull level.
LNA - Low Noise Amplifier is used in receivers as the front end stage, they improve the sensitivity and therefore also the range
Diversity - is often a double antenna and/or double receiver system with auto switching to the best signal, this improves the useable range alot
GPS - often we use a GPS receiver on planes to feed speed, position, and height information to OSD systems.
OSD - On Screen Display, will overlay interesting information to a live video signal.
Logger - Also known as Data Logger. Will record data or measurements for playback / view later, some OSD systems can log some informations too.
HT or HeadTracker -a unit mounted on a persons head, will then control remote located servoes so a remote camara follow head movements, gives Virtual Realyty experiance to FPV.
FPV - First Person View, like a pilots view out the front window.
UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, a UAV is a fully computer guided plane, not a radio controlled plane, if RC'ed it is an FPV or just a normal RC plane
Trainer - or Buddy box. Most advanced RC units have trainer connectors with PPM in/out so they can be connected via a cable to a student RC unit or head tracker unit.
Patch - A patch antenna is a directional antenna that will when pointed to a plane improve the range
Yagi - A Yagi antenna is a directional antenna that will when pointed to a plane improve the range
Gain - antenna gain is often named in db, more db more gain, and also a more narrow beam, so pointing correctly is harder with high gain.
RF - Radio Frequency, any frequency that is not directly hearable audio
RF module - often a plug in box or module or printed circuit board that can be changed/added in RC units, normally a transmitter
CP - Circular polarization refers to the antenna pattern
SPW - Sqew Planar Wheel, a type of antenna that is circular polarised
LP - Linear polarization
RHCP - Right hand circular polarized
LHCP - Left hand circular polarized
DVR - Digital video recorder, many FPV'ers like to record from their groundstation as well as on their platform because if you loose your platform you can playback and review the footage

Last edited by a moderator: