Last Minute Questions Before Hitting BUY

Decided that I enjoy video taping from my quad via the Go-Pro Hero, I wanted to add an FPV system to my Flamewheel 450. I am using a Woo Kong FS, Spectrum 2.4Ghz DX-7 with a 4500mah battery. I decided to get the 5.8Ghz Fat Shark Predator V2 system from Hobby Wireless in Texas. Seems thier shop does not answer "technical" questions so I am hoping someone out here may help me. Here are my last minute questions:

Does Fat Shark Goggles display any stats? (Altitude, Battery etc)Will FatShark work with a 2.4Ghz DX-7 Transmitter?
What on board battery will be necessary for the transmitter? _____ Volts _____Cells
Can I connect an external monitor to the goggles as an option?
Will it be possible to record the signal going to the googles?

Thank you very much for reading these and please take a moment to give me any suggestions or idea's you may have - thank you very much everyone.....

ChrisViperM

Does Fat Shark Goggles display any stats? (Altitude, Battery etc)

No, for that you need an OSD....read this this: http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/11/choosing-fpv-osd-system/
An OSD has varios sensors and gets mixed together with the image from your camera. Normally the live feed from your camera goes into your OSD and from there into your video transmitter.

Will FatShark work with a 2.4Ghz DX-7 Transmitter?
Your Fatsharks has nothing to do with your DX-7 transmitter. The DX-7 is used to control your F-450, to be able to see something in your Fatsharks you need a video transmitter/receiver....it should have another frequency than your DX-7, 5.8GHz is widely used for standard video transmitters.

What on board battery will be necessary for the transmitter? _____ Volts _____Cells
Many people use an extra BEC to get clean power for their video equipment. Which one you need depends on the voltage input from your flight battery and the voltage/ampere you need for your equipment.

Can I connect an external monitor to the goggles as an option?
If your Fatsharks can have an buil-in receiver (not sure about the Predator), the answer is no. If you are using an external video receiver like this one: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=570 the answer is yes...it got 2x video out.
If you use a receiver with only 1x video out, you can use a small video splitter.

Will it be possible to record the signal going to the googles?

If you record just with the camera, you see the camera image + the OSD infos in the goggles, but the recorded image is just the camera image. If you record the image coming from the video transmitter, you record the camera image + the OSD image.
About recording devices, have a look here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?770-Recording-FPV-flight-on-the-ground

One option with an integrated monitor would be this: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dv02-portable-d1-av-recorder-p-541.html

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
the display on that recorder has a pretty delayed view. The duo he shows is $279, you can also use an uno for $69 instead. There is receivers for predators, to the best of my knowledge only way they come. The goggles do have a pass through for another monitor, but would add a wire to your face. if you use the fatshark vtx it does take a regulator if you run bigger than 3s, immersion are good up to 4s, both work together. it is the only vtx that works with the predator built in rx and the uno/duo. on immersion 5.8 vtx, i never ran anything but straight to the flight pack and they work fine. You can add a filter called l-c filter from dp cav to make it cleaner

sorry about the klonerized english

HPL

The links that mitsaras and kloner posted are both very helpful. There needs to be someway to collect links like these and put them somewhere they can be accessed by folks looking for that type of info without having to read through dozens of threads possibly with dozens of replies before the real answer is found. Don't know if that is possible, but would really be nice.

Is there at least some way to rate a thread so others would know that it has truly useful tech info?

HPL

tstrike

pendejo grande
Dood, seriously, if you're having that much trouble finding content on this forum maybe you should try using a bookmarks folder on your computer.

Chris I really appreciate and thank you for the time you took to explain and clearify these questions. All makes good sense now. Since I already have a Go-Pro on board recording I wont worry about using the FPV as a recording camera. The FPV system will help me see what angles and views the Go-Pro might be seeing. I will do a little more research before buying since I am quite concerned between buying a Fat Shark contained system Vs individual components in regards to failures and quaility. Seems if anything Fat Shark (goggle wise) goes south, your SOL. Buying individual items will allow me to upgrade transmitter output power but requires a monitor and power supplies etc. Ughhh. Again, thank you for your thoughts and help..

HPL

Dood, seriously, if you're having that much trouble finding content on this forum maybe you should try using a bookmarks folder on your computer.

To begin with, I think you mean "Dude", and in fact, I have added both of those links to my bookmark folder, however, there is LOTS of misc content on this forum, some VERY valuable, some, well, ............not so much. All I was saying was that it would be nice to have an expeditious way to winnow the wheat from the chaff, however, i'm not an internet wizard, and don't even know if it is possible.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ChrisViperM

Chris I really appreciate and thank you for the time you took to explain and clearify these questions. All makes good sense now. Since I already have a Go-Pro on board recording I wont worry about using the FPV as a recording camera. The FPV system will help me see what angles and views the Go-Pro might be seeing. I will do a little more research before buying since I am quite concerned between buying a Fat Shark contained system Vs individual components in regards to failures and quaility. Seems if anything Fat Shark (goggle wise) goes south, your SOL. Buying individual items will allow me to upgrade transmitter output power but requires a monitor and power supplies etc. Ughhh. Again, thank you for your thoughts and help..

Just check out all of kloner's threads.....he is the Guru of FPV and knows this stuff (and a lot more) better than most of us.....http://www.multirotorforums.com/search.php?searchid=510822

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Danub

ChrisViperM. . . your link is not working.
, Spectrum 2.4Ghz DX-7 with a 4500mah battery.
I would strongly suggest against 2.4 spektrum for any range fpv. . . . . many Fpv'ers have lost their rig doing this.

I do see you are using wookong sooo you could rely on failsafe but I would not. I suggest a LRS (connected to your spektrum). . . If you plan to go further than 200-300meters.

tstrike

pendejo grande
To begin with, I think you mean "Dude", and in fact, I have added both of those links to my bookmark folder, however, there is LOTS of misc content on this forum, some VERY valuable, some, well, ............not so much. All I was saying was that it would be nice to have an expeditious way to winnow the wheat from the chaff, however, i'm not an internet wizard, and don't even know if it is possible.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thancs four halping me lern 2 spall coreckly. The problem is what's deemed important by one doesn't necessarily mean it's important to another. The discovery of the information is half the fun. Bart would be 24/7 trying to catalog and organize the amount of information that gets posted to this site.

To Hoveringal, the immersion rc 5.8 600w tx and a pair of predators is an awesome little setup and extremely powerful. I've had mine on my Disco frame setting on my steel welding table in my shop and walked outside, across my lot into the house (brick) and through 3 walls and never got so much as a glitch. Plus it packs up small and you can (like Kloner says) hook up a set of video cables and run the image to a separate monitor for viewing.

ChrisViperM

Sorry with the link.....it looks like it's only valid for a set ammount of time....

On Post #4 in this thread, click on kloners name with the left mouse button, and on the pop-up window click "View Forum Posts".....but be prepaired to spend a lot of time weeding through, but it's worth it.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: