How things work

I would like to understand the basics of how things work on the multi rotor equipment. I know you need receivers and other components but I am confused on how you choose things and mostly how you combine them to work. I know it can become very technical, but was hoping someone could explain it more basic. My confusion comes when I think how a Gps is added, a gimble and how you connect it and also make it move up and down. What is needed for Autonomous flying. I think it is better for me to understand better before moving into a more advanced system. Thanks

bensid54

Have you ever flown multi rotor before? Lets start there plus let us know what you want to get out of this hobby.

I know its not the same but I've been flying the AR Drone modified with RF radio control what I would like to do is take a nice video, photos and of course enjoy flying. I've looked at the iris but I want to understand exactly how things are connected and if I want to add something how to connect that and wonder if I'm better off buying something ready to fly or build something myself I'm good with electronics and I'm good at soldering so I don't know if that's a help or not?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
well, just follow along with what we're doing and you should find answers to your questions.

I am watching this build and have asked a number of questions. I think you are right and this will help. maybe someone can answer a quick question. when it comes to choosing the radio what would be a good one that I can use now and still allow me to upgrade equipment in the future. Also when everything is built and installed, will I be programing the radio or the flight controller? that part is where I am confused. The last thing I want is to spend the time and money and then have it flip on takeoff. Hope that all makes sense?

FlyGirl

I am watching this build and have asked a number of questions. I think you are right and this will help. maybe someone can answer a quick question. when it comes to choosing the radio what would be a good one that I can use now and still allow me to upgrade equipment in the future. Also when everything is built and installed, will I be programming the radio or the flight controller? that part is where I am confused. The last thing I want is to spend the time and money and then have it flip on takeoff. Hope that all makes sense?

Get the most channels you can afford. I have a 7 channel radio that I wish was 8 channels now... Futaba and Spektrum are the most popular radio systems. You will be programming the transmitter to assign switches to certain functions that the flight controller has such as the different flying modes available, return to home, etc. Then in the flight controller you will be calibrating the compass, maybe tweaking gains, setting what happens in certain conditions such as low battery etc. Most flipping on take off is because a motor is turning the wrong direction, a propeller should be CCW instead of CW or vice versus, or lastly the flight controller not facing the correct way. If you build carefully and thoroughly you shouldn't have that issue. Hope that helps!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
As FlyGirl says get as many channels as you can afford and if you can't afford at least 8 then wait til you can and at least two three way switches will make your life so much easier so save up for that too.

Cheers.

Pete

As FlyGirl says get as many channels as you can afford and if you can't afford at least 8 then wait til you can and at least two three way switches will make your life so much easier so save up for that too.

Cheers.

Pete
that clears up a few things, I am thinking while I wait for the Iris it might be a good idea to go with the Dji 450 and build it myself. Unless you think going with the 550 is a better option? And it seems that the Naza M Lite is what I should get? As for the controller what you said makes sense, I did read where some controllers only need 1 connection to the Naza rather some that have many? but not sure what is the best. Do you have any suggestions on a good at least 8 channel radio that wont cost too much but still be of good quality? thanks once again

Bartman

jake, it seems like you're starting from scratch. if you're already following the group build thread, it's probably a good idea to join us there and work your way into this slowly. we'll continue to try to answer your questions as we go.

if you look in the classifieds you can find JR 9503 radios, used, for a reasonable amount of money. new 9503 radios use DSMX technology but the older DSM2 still works great, it's what I fly many times per week. DSM2 is older though so those radios are less expensive in the used market. 9 channels, 2 3-position switches, also compatible with Orange receivers and bind-n-fly planes/helis that are for sale everywhere.

maybe Yuri will sell you his old one.

FlyGirl

that clears up a few things, I am thinking while I wait for the Iris it might be a good idea to go with the Dji 450 and build it myself. Unless you think going with the 550 is a better option? And it seems that the Naza M Lite is what I should get? As for the controller what you said makes sense, I did read where some controllers only need 1 connection to the Naza rather some that have many? but not sure what is the best. Do you have any suggestions on a good at least 8 channel radio that wont cost too much but still be of good quality? thanks once again

Building a 450 with a Lite would be a good experience yes.... I'd stick with the 450 instead of the 550 just to keep the cost down and also with the 450, down the road you can have a fun little FPV flyer, something different than the Iris will be. Stick to Futaba and Spektrum for the radio brands. There are some that love the Turnigy 9 channel radios. They are cheap but since I've never had one I can't give a good opinion and I have no idea how their receivers handle Failsafe which is another can of worms for farther down the road. :)

bensid54

I own both a Spektrum and Futaba radio so have experienced with both. My choice is Futaba I like the quality and programming plus in thirty five years Futaba has always been rock solid for me. My Spektrum works fine too but it just looks cheap and the only reason I bought it was to bind plug and play Blade products. My two bits worth but if you want quality in the long run I would buy Futaba.

Bartman

I own both a Spektrum and Futaba radio so have experienced with both. My choice is Futaba I like the quality and programming plus in thirty five years Futaba has always been rock solid for me. My Spektrum works fine too but it just looks cheap and the only reason I bought it was to bind plug and play Blade products. My two bits worth but if you want quality in the long run I would buy Futaba.

growing up Futaba was always the gold standard and I was always on the look out for good used Futaba radios but when I started flying Mikrokopter it was just easier to use JR/Spektrum. My JR 9503 has been awesome, Hitec is really nice to use but the overall quality is a little more hobbyish (if that's a word). Futaba vs. JR threads are all over the internet at websites covering every aspect of RC so I'll just leave it at that! :nevreness:

Sure leaves me with a lot of decisions. I just want a radio that will be the most dependable and have the switches that will make it easier to utilize all the features of the Naza M Lite. I will look at all the suggestions and cross my fingers I pick the right one!!! Is there one vs another that works better with the Naza M Lite?

bensid54

I understand Naza leans more toward Futaba there seems to be less problem with setup as compared to Spektrum. I know from my own experience with Naza and Futaba the radio was very straight forward with no trouble linking to the Naza light, I had more trouble with the Naza itself.

FlyGirl

I understand Naza leans more toward Futaba there seems to be less problem with setup as compared to Spektrum. I know from my own experience with Naza and Futaba the radio was very straight forward with no trouble linking to the Naza light, I had more trouble with the Naza itself.

Ben is right that DJI has shown an inclination towards Futaba however that being said, I had no issues with my Spektrum system. Either way you will be fine... :)