Hoverfly HOVERFLY PRO/GPS FIRMWARE RELEASE: v4.3.860

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Well I would probably start with the HFP control. HFGimbal looks very cool, but at this point it appears that there isn't a great gimbal to control. The mechanics / servos / linkages just aren't there yet. I hope a manufacturer gets it right soon. When I start to see numerous video post of quality non post stabilized footage from gimbals, perhaps we'll give it a shot then.

Stacky

JZ Im getting reasonable quality now from the HFP. Sorry but its windy here for the next week or 2 so i cant give you any recent examples. My limitations currently are more about the gimbal than my HFP outputs. A local guy is making his own copy of the cinestar gimbal, its a one off and once he has it finished I will try it out.
I may have different expectations than most, Im not overfly concerned about a perfect level horizon, I am happy with nice smooth fluid gimbal movements so even if there is some tilt to the horizon as long as the motion is smooth and pleasing to the eye i am happy. Cedar Beauregard puts out some lovely footage without any roll compensation on his gimbal and his footage always has a nice feel to it. A local guy here has an Ecilop and it doesnt have a dead level horizon but it has a very natural looking movement to me. The other thing is nice flying lines and composition of video footage. So for me smooth gimbal movement is ok and if there are nice flying lines and composition it all works for me.

The HFP isnt giving me dead perfect level horizons but it is giving me a natural feel to the gimbal controls. Im happy with it s a built in gimbal control but I would expect stand alone gimbal controllers to be at the next level up.

This is from 3 weeks ago, there is no post processing and also I have tuned the controls a bit better since then. The camera is a Sony RX100 but I did have the in camera stabilization on. You can see its influence in the bottom corners of the frame every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvT-15cxFc&feature=g-upl

Last edited by a moderator:

workshop

Our 4k demo reel is being edited as we speak. RedOne lent us the Epic for a cross promotional piece and as soon as the video is up, I'll let everybody know. Of course to really appreciate the imagey, one would have to see it on a large screen HD monitor.

Jeff

Technical Director, RadFlight