HK Multistar high capacity, 10C batteries made for MR: Opinions from the experienced?

Mactadpole

Aren't there plenty of 8-1000mm carrying GH4/A7S size cameras? Or are you saying there are, and they're all only realistically flying 10min missions?

Exactly, maybe up they get up to 12min. Keep in mind my goal is to map large areas and do the occasional video. I use a Nex 5t and plan to get an A5100 and eventually a multispectral imager (e.g. ADC micro), much lighter cameras than the GH4/A7S. So I want max flight times.

crayfellow

Exactly, maybe up they get up to 12min. Keep in mind my goal is to map large areas and do the occasional video. I use a Nex 5t and plan to get an A5100 and eventually a multispectral imager (e.g. ADC micro), much lighter cameras than the GH4/A7S. So I want max flight times.
Right, but your camera is the only real significant difference. My craft is really a prototype and test rig so I wanted absolute maximum stability and not be limited in payload for now. You and I both may end up with those foldable 540's long-term. Having a big heavy-ish lift craft in the fleet will always be useful to the overall effort even if we go that route, I think.

Mactadpole

Trust me, I'm cheap too. I drive a wholly owned VW Golf diesel with 130k+ on the odometer (except for when hauling the whole family). But I also own a Fluke meter :) I'm always looking for the balance between cost, minimal maintenance, maximum reliability and flexibility, and reasonable travel characteristics.

The "old server PS" thing is right up my alley as a 1980's PC hacker, just not sure it's the best for this particular project when research trips will also be with our family of 6. But maybe I'm wrong, and it would be ideal for travel in the right case.

Dumb question, why dual low-power chargers like 106B vs. one high-power charger like a 306B or PL6 with a ParaBoard to charge 4 at once?

Nice on the VW Golf!

Since I am taking this stuff to remote locations (a days travel via canoe, truck, motor boat to a frontier town = no chargers or PS's there) I always want extra's, that way if one dies I still have one to work with. I haven't timed it but the 106B does a balance charge on those 6S 8Ah batteries pretty fast at 1C. I like to be gentle with my batteries and not push too much into them at once.

crayfellow

Since I am taking this stuff to remote locations (a days travel via canoe, truck, motor boat to a frontier town = no chargers or PS's there) I always want extra's, that way if one dies I still have one to work with. I haven't timed it but the 106B does a balance charge on those 6S 8Ah batteries pretty fast at 1C. I like to be gentle with my batteries and not push too much into them at once.

but you have to travel with your stuff to the home base where you prepare for the canoe/truck/boat trip, right? So you travel with the Dell PS?

I agree on the 1C. Why not just use one higher-watt charger? Couldn't you use a single 306B or PL6 with a ParaBoard to charge 4 of your 6S 8Ah at 1C simultaneously?

Mactadpole

Right, but your camera is the only real significant difference. My craft is really a prototype and test rig so I wanted absolute maximum stability and not be limited in payload for now. You and I both may end up with those foldable 540's long-term. Having a big heavy-ish lift craft in the fleet will always be useful to the overall effort even if we go that route, I think.

Your gimbal is nearly twice the weight too and the motors are 50g heavier a piece. I'm sure it will all be fine but flight times won't be near what I'm getting.

BTW - I'm getting ready to post about it in my build thread and the KDE thread, but those KDE triple blade adapters with the DJI 1552 props are the bomb! I am actually hovering at a slightly lower amp and throttle level. Getting 27 minutes taking the batts down to 21.6.

crayfellow

Nice!! The MS 10Ah are available from the US warehouse now, so I might as well grab a couple of those as the initial test batts, no? I realize I'll not get close to your flight time but it will be a fun adventure to see how close I can get with 16x5.5 props.

Mactadpole

but you have to travel with your stuff to the home base where you prepare for the canoe/truck/boat trip, right? So you travel with the Dell PS?

I agree on the 1C. Why not just use one higher-watt charger? Couldn't you use a single 306B or PL6 with a ParaBoard to charge 4 of your 6S 8Ah at 1C simultaneously?
Not exactly sure I follow first part of question. I fly to South America, depending on research site I have another 4-12 hours of travel via plane and/or bus to small town, and then the full day of travel into the research station. I take everything with me. Typically there is only travel in/out of stations once a week. Everything goes with me to the station.

I could do what you are saying but if that charger dies then I'm done charging batteries. Fairly easy to get a PC PS to hack anywhere. I have had equipment break on me before and it was actually cheaper/safer (don't have to deal with customs bribes or theft) to fly back to the states and pick it up and fly back the same or next day.

Mactadpole

Nice!! The MS 10Ah are available from the US warehouse now, so I might as well grab a couple of those as the initial test batts, no? I realize I'll not get close to your flight time but it will be a fun adventure to see how close I can get with 16x5.5 props.

Go for it! I agree the weight is somewhat negligible. You'll know if its an issue soon enough. Heck, I might even get a set to try but think I might be at the point where the weight for a few Ah may negate the benefit.

They're a much cheaper gamble than the maxamps or others.