Mikrokopter Hey Guys, Been a while!

How's everyone doing? I haven't posted on this or any MK/Multi site for some time for many reasons. Having been at this for more then a couple years, Trying to start an AP business while working full time, I was honestly getting tired of it. I was tired of it because I was running out of good stuff to shoot, no jobs, just shooting for myself. I was tired of not getting paid for any of it. I was tired of CONSTANTLY tinkering with the MKTR and not getting any improvement. I was frankly a little bored too but most was frustration. My hexa sat for a good 2 months without being flown. I also had another child in that time so that was going on too.

Anyway, we've recently had some luck with work and potential work and it's sparked my passion again. I'm just making up some ground rules for myself so I don't kill myself over certain frustrations. Things like I'm minimizing my tinkering as a conscious thing. I will get rid of the product if it's not reliable. I'd rather go simple and cheap then complicated and overpriced. So what are you guys having success with as far as mounts? I'm thinking of going back to the MD2 mount. It's simple, it works, and I've had success in the past with it.

We did a shoot a week and a half ago at a solar facility. It was insane, 47acres of solar panels. I was nervous for obvious reasons(flying over solar panels) but I was even more nervous leading up to it because I knew out batteries were shot! I had told my partners that I'm not flying with those packs, just not safe, I didn't trust them. They had hundreds of flights on them probably. We bought 6 of the G6 Pro 2S Thunderpower 5300mah lipos and I felt a 100% better. I started using them a few days before the shoot and while I didn't run them hard for the first few flights, I knew immediately that I had made the right call. By the day of the shoot, after running some cycles with them we were getting 17 minutes per flight and had total confidence the whole time. The Lipos are amazing, not cheap but so worth it.

While at the shoot we had another ground photographer approach us. He was at the solar site working for another contractor taking pictures from the ground and he was also getting raised in a forklift 30 feet in the air to get some shots. I thought he was crazy he had no harness to catch him. Anyway he was really cool and he was very interested in the Hexa, asking all kinds of questions. We exchanged business cards and my partner sent me a link to his flickr page. He showed us there which I thought was pretty cool. He got some of his info wrong. I didn't tell him the Hexa was 6000 dollars. I said the total investment of our company had been about that much. That included Cameras, FPV gear, Lipos, Mounts, etc.. Anyway I thought I'd say hi again and see how everyone is doing. I have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm on the left in the Phillies hat. Hexa looks good. Bart, I'm still using your battery holders!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisnjustin/6462340689/

Kilby

Good to see you on here, Eric. Sounds like you had a fun shoot. Did you have any photos of the solar farm that we can see? That thing sounds HUGE!

I'm going to be up your way over the holidays if you want to catch up. I'm going to try and get a few shots around Philly while I have some time off.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Eric.. Nice to see you again on here.. welcome back.. Now thats what I call a solar farm.. electric of course.. I would not worry to much abut flying over them in the future.. most of the good ones are designed to take a frozen seagull stirke at 40kph!... dont ask I just know it coz I seen the test rigs in Switzerland!

Dave

Ha Ha good to know Droider. Yes, the place was massive! It was the biggest project I've ever seen like that. I believe it is the largest private array on the East Coast.

Kilby, I don't have anything I can share right now but I can tell you that we're very pleased with what we got. Some of the video is amazing as are the stills. It should go for approval this week and should be able to share once the company ok's the product. We used the GoPro2 for video and some wide stills. We used the Canon S95 for most of the stills. Thanks for the warm welcome back...

Oh and Kilby, I'm down for meeting up, just depends when. This is my full time jobs busy season so it's not going to be easy to find spare time during the week. Weekends I'm usually free. Let me know when you're coming to the area.