Hey everybody! This is a great place.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby as well. I'm researching parts to build a multirotor so I can take video of the Big Island of Hawaii which is my wife and I are moving. There is a lot of information to take in but I can say that I am already addicted to learning as much as I can. I need to have the parts selected within the next three weeks as shipping is going to take a while I'm sure.

Is it a normal thing for someone to post a thread asking for suggestions on what parts to get? I know the basic anatomy of of a multirotor but actually distinguishing the model of motors, frame size, which flight controller ect is something I think a lot of you guys would be able to help me a lot with. I don't want to spam up the forum with a post that doesn't seem constructive enough for you guys or has been asked a million times.

Thanks!

SoCal Blur

Welcome to the asylum! Your best bet is to find a build you like and ask questions about it. You can certainly ask for suggestions but You may want to decide what you want to build first... A quad, Hexa, Octo, etc.? You should also get used to using eCalc http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php?ecalc This can help you predict how the components that you selected will perform.

If you haven't already, buy yourself a sub $60 mini/micro quad so you practice the basics of flying (and crashing) so by the time your build is done, it will have a better chance of surviving the maiden flight.

Thanks. I have a small toy quad that I got and have been messing with. I'm thinking I'm going to build a x or cross unit as those seem to be the most common and simple setups. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of having more rotors. Is it for stability? It's funny, I already had the ecalc in another thread when I went to read your post. At least I'm on the right track.

What do you think of the 2014 steadiDrone QU4D with the gimbal? It looks like a really nice setup but I'm wondering if the price is reasonable at $500 + $20 for shipping.
Also, is the Naza-m v2 the best controller for stable manual operation with GPS? I see a lot of chips out there for around $100 or less and up to $300+ I was wondering if there are cheaper options that will do the job just as well. I'm not interested in autonomous flight paths as this rig will be strictly manually controlled for shooting video in Hawaii.

I'm going through a bunch of build threads where people are talking about programing their flight controllers but I'm not sure if I want to get that serious. What's the benefit of programming them?

Any brand of ESCs and motors that stand out for their quality? Also, some ESCs come as four in one unit as opposed to them being separate. Is this just for the cleanliness or is there another benefit.

My goal is to have a quad that I only have to build once.

SoCal Blur

That's pretty funny...that's what I said about my Octo "I only wanted to build it once"

The benefit of more rotors is two-fold. one is that you can produce more thrust and therefore lift heavier objects...like large DLSR cameras, Red Epic, etc. And second, is redundancy. If you're shooting video with a Quad and a Motor or ESC fails, it will come crashing to the ground. With a Hexa you have a good chance of saving it if it loses a motor and with an Octo, and even better chance.

I'll let someone else answer your question about the steadiDrone QU4D. I'm not familiar with it.

As far as the FC, there are as many opinions as there are FCs. It depends on whether you want a Plug-n-Play or an Open Source programmable unit. I use the Multiwii: http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fl...black-flight-controller-w-gps-option-276.html It is inexpensive and can use GPS, Compass, barometer to give you Level, Altitude hold, GPS Position Hold, and GPS Return to home. But, it is Open Source so it takes some programming to get it going. I would do a youtube search for NAZA, Multiwii, Hoverfly, SuperX, APM, etc. and see what you find...

Most will agree that T-Motors are near the top of the heap but also in $$$. SunnySky motors are nice and about 1/3rd the cost of the T-Motors in some cases.

The alternative would be to buy a RTF (ready to fly) or an ARTF (Almost ready to fly) Quad. Then all you would have to worry about is buying batteries a radio and receiver.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
welcome to the site Mike. Make yourself at home and feel free to ask questions. The beginners' lounge is very helpful and there are some threads there that are "stuck" to the top that might be helpful to look at first.

good luck and enjoy!
Bart

That's pretty funny...that's what I said about my Octo "I only wanted to build it once"

The benefit of more rotors is two-fold. one is that you can produce more thrust and therefore lift heavier objects...like large DLSR cameras, Red Epic, etc. And second, is redundancy. If you're shooting video with a Quad and a Motor or ESC fails, it will come crashing to the ground. With a Hexa you have a good chance of saving it if it loses a motor and with an Octo, and even better chance.

I'll let someone else answer your question about the steadiDrone QU4D. I'm not familiar with it.

As far as the FC, there are as many opinions as there are FCs. It depends on whether you want a Plug-n-Play or an Open Source programmable unit. I use the Multiwii: http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fl...black-flight-controller-w-gps-option-276.html It is inexpensive and can use GPS, Compass, barometer to give you Level, Altitude hold, GPS Position Hold, and GPS Return to home. But, it is Open Source so it takes some programming to get it going. I would do a youtube search for NAZA, Multiwii, Hoverfly, SuperX, APM, etc. and see what you find...

Most will agree that T-Motors are near the top of the heap but also in $$$. SunnySky motors are nice and about 1/3rd the cost of the T-Motors in some cases.

The alternative would be to buy a RTF (ready to fly) or an ARTF (Almost ready to fly) Quad. Then all you would have to worry about is buying batteries a radio and receiver.

Thank you for the insight. That was an excellent response. I guess you have to weigh simplicity and initial cost against redundancy. I'm going to look into hexarotors and quads. Wow, the Red Epic is 5 lbs and expensive! It really does make some great videos though.

I'm going to take your advice and look at each FC individually. I'm also going to look at what's involved with the programming.

If SunnySky motors are good and cheap, I'll put them on the drawing board and see what else I can find.

RTF is something I'm not interested in. Building it is half the fun for me. A ARTF is a good idea and I've thought about that. I like building things so I don't mind piecing a kit together but If I end up with a parts list similar to a ARTF then I will probably go that route if it will save me money.

At this point I am hoping to make something that can lift 2 lbs and cost under $900 USD. Let me know if this is unrealistic.

welcome to the site Mike. Make yourself at home and feel free to ask questions. The beginners' lounge is very helpful and there are some threads there that are "stuck" to the top that might be helpful to look at first.

good luck and enjoy!
Bart

Will do. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions as I'm trying to soak all this stuff in. I'll check out the beginners lounge. Stickies are a good idea. I'll head over and check them out. Thanks.