Hello From Maryland

Roger Moore Jr

I'm Roger and I'm a photographer. I was a programmer in college, but I'm a Network Engineer by trade. I saw someone use a helicopter carry his camera for photography and video. I was sold and wanted to combine my former skill with my current passion (programming and photography). I look forward to learning how to do that via this forum.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Welcome to the site Roger! We love everyone equally here so if you decide to go out and buy a ready-to-fly quad then we'll still leave the door open for you. If you want to build your own though we promise you you'll be far better prepared to actually succeed in what it is that you are trying to do and you'll be much better prepared to make future decisions regarding what you need to get the results you're working towards.

But, I have to say, if you post pics and we see pipes coming out the back of your heli's for oiling up a road in front of pursuing henchmen, or an eject button for the passenger seat of your car, we're going to be asking a lot of questions.......Jr. :cool:

F

fengshuidrone

I'm Roger and I'm a photographer. I was a programmer in college, but I'm a Network Engineer by trade. I saw someone use a helicopter carry his camera for photography and video. I was sold and wanted to combine my former skill with my current passion (programming and photography). I look forward to learning how to do that via this forum.
Same reason I started flying quads. If you go with Multiwii flight controllers in your build, let me know. I can help out with what seems like a steep learning curve at first. If you want max versatility that is the FC to get. I know others will disagree with me on that but I wouldn't fly anything else now that I'm familiar with it.

Roger Moore Jr

Bartman & fengshuidrone,

Thanks for your responses. I'm doing a lot of reading and I see people are asking very specific questions. I'm gathering information but this is my strategy. I don't want a racing drone, but one that does video. I want a sturdy copter capable of carrying a GoPro and that logs GPS data. HOWEVER, at this time, I only want to purchase the basic components for flying while I learn how to fly and add the GPS and video capabilities later.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi 2 board and I want to program it for the drone.

Based on my requirements:
1. What criteria should I use for selecting the frame?
2. What power output do I need from each motor?
3. How do you choose your speed controllers?

I'm continuing to search the forums but these are a few of the many, many questions I have. I appreciate your responses.

-RJ

F

fengshuidrone

Forgive me if I'm missing something here. The board you mention is a computer, not a flight controller. You probably know way more about it than I do though so bear with me if I'm ignorant (and very well probably am on this.) Why not just get a dedicated flight controller? Can you integrate standard sensors like Gyro, Mag, ACC? Why would you want the added weight of "another" board that probably could be replaced by something purpose built to fly quads and designed with weight inherently considered as a flight parameter, and would be cheaper and neater than a bunch of wired together devices? I guess I'm not enough of a computer nerd to understand how this board will work as a good FC. I understand that there are ways to piece together various Arduino boards to come up with something that works, but like I said I am not enough of a computer freak to pull something like that off. Is this going to be a similar approach?
You can still do the add this feature and that feature thing with dedicated FC like Crius.

Last edited:

Roger Moore Jr

Fengshuidrone,

I purchased the board because I read of the versatility it provided. However, if I'm able to do all that I need w/o it, that is fine. I'm not married to it and I'll use it for other projects. What FC's do you suggest? What do you recommend based on my other questions?

F

fengshuidrone

TBH, I don't know enough about your choice to know if it can be used for a FC. If it can and you know how, go for it. Any suggestion I have is prejudiced towards what I know best, the Multiwii. I don't trust DJI and their secret code, and there are a lot of other kinds of platforms relying on different firmwares both open sourced code and code dedicated to just one platform not open for developers. Arducopter, KK, Openpilot CC3D, etc. which I don't use but am somewhat familiar with, are a few. The Multiwii is based on Arduino code. It's real easy to work with. There's lots of development for this FC platform and it has the ability to start off uncomplicated and inexpensive but later on make additions to it. Buy a basic all in one Multiwii Pro 2 (upfront cost $32.00 US) and you get all of your sensors, microprocessor, and connections to hook everything to in one board. Then later you can upgrade to GPS, an onboard readout, sonar, Bluetooth, telemetry, etc. The sky is the limit. Plus now with the latest firmware version we have awesome, stable GPS and the ability to fly waypoint missions. When it comes to flight modes the MW can't be beat, and all flight parameters are easily adjustable from both the MW configurator or the Win GUI. The hardest part of flying with Multiwii is getting the info you need to set things up. It can be done though and my quad is proof of that.
If you are building your own from scratch like I do, you can just buy raw carbon fiber sheets and tubes and go from there. The quad in my avatar is scratch built of my own design from two sheets of CF and four 15mm outside diameter CF square tube. I chose my motors based on calculations figuring what I planned on lifting. I figured the weight of everything on the quad and left a little slack as room for error, also knowing that someday I would be going from servo driven to a brushless gimbal for my cam. The all up weight. Turns out I needed motors under 1000 Kv (I used 980Kv Multistars x 4) to get the torque I needed to lift everything without straining. Props had to match the motors and flight characteristics of what I wanted my quad to do. Turns out I needed 10x 4.5 slow fly props.
I chose my ESC based on the design of my craft and how neat I wanted the final rendition to be. I wanted to keep from having the ESC wires out in the open as well as accounting what capabilities it would need as far as amperage I would require for my motors. I don't like the looks of tie wraps holding everything in place with four ESCs, one on each motor boom. I wanted to run the motor wires through the hollow booms to the motors at the end. I researched and found the Q-brain 4 in 1 ESC. It packages 4 - 20 or 25 amp ESCs (I have one of each, 20 and 25 amp, in two separate quads) in one box that was small enough to fit between the two halves of my quad frame. You literally can't see my ESCs or wires and I have had people ask me where they are. Turns out it is programmable too if you buy the card to do it. Thing will even play a little tune while its powering up (right now mine's set to play Auld Lang Syne) and I've never had any problems with calibration. It even comes with a 4 into one calibration cable so you can do a TX to ESC calibrate on all four ESCs at once. I think it even costs less overall than the price of 4 separate ESCs. Like I said I own 2 of them and I love 'em.

Last edited:

Roger Moore Jr

TBH, I don't know enough about your choice to know if it can be used for a FC. If it can and you know how, go for it. Any suggestion I have is prejudiced towards what I know best, the Multiwii. I don't trust DJI and their secret code, and there are a lot of other kinds of platforms relying on different firmwares both open sourced code and code dedicated to just one platform not open for developers. Arducopter, KK, Openpilot CC3D, etc. which I don't use but am somewhat familiar with, are a few. The Multiwii is based on Arduino code. It's real easy to work with. There's lots of development for this FC platform and it has the ability to start off uncomplicated and inexpensive but later on make additions to it. Buy a basic all in one Multiwii Pro 2 (upfront cost $32.00 US) and you get all of your sensors, microprocessor, and connections to hook everything to in one board. Then later you can upgrade to GPS, an onboard readout, sonar, Bluetooth, telemetry, etc. The sky is the limit. Plus now with the latest firmware version we have awesome, stable GPS and the ability to fly waypoint missions. When it comes to flight modes the MW can't be beat, and all flight parameters are easily adjustable from both the MW configurator or the Win GUI. The hardest part of flying with Multiwii is getting the info you need to set things up. It can be done though and my quad is proof of that.
If you are building your own from scratch like I do, you can just buy raw carbon fiber sheets and tubes and go from there. The quad in my avatar is scratch built of my own design from two sheets of CF and four 15mm outside diameter CF square tube. I chose my motors based on calculations figuring what I planned on lifting. I figured the weight of everything on the quad and left a little slack as room for error, also knowing that someday I would be going from servo driven to a brushless gimbal for my cam. The all up weight. Turns out I needed motors under 1000 Kv (I used 980Kv Multistars x 4) to get the torque I needed to lift everything without straining. Props had to match the motors and flight characteristics of what I wanted my quad to do. Turns out I needed 10x 4.5 slow fly props.
I chose my ESC based on the design of my craft and how neat I wanted the final rendition to be. I wanted to keep from having the ESC wires out in the open as well as accounting what capabilities it would need as far as amperage I would require for my motors. I don't like the looks of tie wraps holding everything in place with four ESCs, one on each motor boom. I wanted to run the motor wires through the hollow booms to the motors at the end. I researched and found the Q-brain 4 in 1 ESC. It packages 4 - 20 or 25 amp ESCs (I have one of each, 20 and 25 amp, in two separate quads) in one box that was small enough to fit between the two halves of my quad frame. You literally can't see my ESCs or wires and I have had people ask me where they are. Turns out it is programmable too if you buy the card to do it. Thing will even play a little tune while its powering up (right now mine's set to play Auld Lang Syne) and I've never had any problems with calibration. It even comes with a 4 into one calibration cable so you can do a TX to ESC calibrate on all four ESCs at once. I think it even costs less overall than the price of 4 separate ESCs. Like I said I own 2 of them and I love 'em.

Awesome feedback!!! Thanks. I really appreciate your input!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have to say I'm glad we've got a real MultiWii die-hard user at the site now. I've heard good things about them and I'm all for inexpensive equipment that actually has a lot of genuine versatility. I might even have to try one now that we've got an enthusiastic user here at the site offering to help.

Thanks @fengshuidrone !!

F

fengshuidrone

My quad only costs a little over $400.00 to build including the cost of my TX and all the mistakes I made during the build! My weak point with MW is in actually writing the code. I have no problems getting the code already written by others to work, I'm just not up to speed as an Arduino code writer. I understand enough to get some mods done on my own, but would never try and write code for a new device to be implemented. I'm not THAT good. There are a zillion Arduino programmers out there way better than me. But when it comes to setting up a MWFC using available code I understand exactly what's needed and I can help others as well.

Last edited: