Helicopter versus Multirotor for Aerial Photography

Thakur Dalip Singh

Thakur Dalip Singh
I am new to this forum, and new to aerial photography by RC planes. Please tell me which is better and why better -Helicopter versus Multirotor for Aerial Photography.
I am photographer who want to do aerial photography with heavy pro cameras (2.5 Kg) with RC planes, i.e. Helicopters/ Multicopter/ Multirotor etc or fix wing also.
Pl help me to decide.
Also tell me any difference between Multicopter/ Multirotor.
http://landscapesofindia.com
View attachment 2168View attachment 2169

Attachments

• 01 (30).jpg
    01 (30).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 416
  • Rivers into Sea.jpg
    Rivers into Sea.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 354

KellyR

Thakur,

Good question. I'm new to this hobby too & really look forward to the AP side of it. My thoughts would be that a multicopter would be better than a heli. You can split the load between several motors & there are several controllers, like the DJI Naza for example, that allow you to have things like auto stablization & altitude & GPS hold. Leaving you to concentrate a little more on the photo. If photos are your main goal I don't think a plane's a good idea because it has to be in constant motion. They are great for videos though. Although, personally, I haven't seen a plane with a payload of 2.5Kg.

Kelly

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This has been covered a thousand times on RCgroups. In short it has a little to do with preference.

SRH(single rotor heli):

mechanical with computers to assist.
bigger payload
MAJOR balancing time for blades
Hard to get rid of vibrations
Advantage of auto-rotation
Bigger foot print in the air
more fragile
Sound way cooler starting up :)
Only 1 motor/esc
Do much better in wind

MRH(multi rotor heli)

A computer that flies
Smaller, better in tighter spaces.
Easy to replace props.
redundancy
Slightly less efficient
Dont do as well in wind

I know there are some missing things on the list but I think the main headache of SRH are tuning blades. They are so finicky to get perfect. If you tip over even in soft grass it's all over. Hours in the shop. ON a MRH you have less mass on the blades so they stop pretty quickly causing minimal damage that usually allows you to keep flying. but assuming you dont crash I think its up to you. I do really miss the sound of the SRH revving up.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
The main advantage with a large single rotor heli

normaly fuel driven which enables longer flight times

larger payloads etc

not so good in confined spaces

for the perfect ap setup you would probably want to have both options (multirotor and large single rotor helis )

to cover all possible situations

keith

Bowley

Thakur,

I think the same skills are required for both in whatever mode of flight you choose to fly in. Although multi's are perhaps a little more forgiving.

Steve

matwelli

A multi would be the best first step, you can hover a 1 kg quad in the kitchen on a windy day, try that with the same sized heli. Use the multi to get your co-ordination sorted, then step up to a heli when you need too - helis cost money when you crash them in the early stages

DennyR

Thakur
Good to see you here as another one migrating from aerialpro. Let me know before you buy anything!

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I just got offered an Amazing deal on a Burgen Intrepid EB with Ace One.

I love my multirotor anx have been thinking of building a larger one. But this 800 sized heli looks too good to pass up.

Anyone know how this works for video work?