Graupner prop question

Buzzed

Can one of you guys that's been using Graupner props point me to where I can purchase 8mm prop washers? The star washers that I have aren't wide enough to span the 8mm X 5mm reducers needed for the Graupners.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Buzzed,
I feel your pain. I thought I had a part number for washers but I was wrong. Are you trying to use them on the 5mm shafts of the MK motor/prop adapters? Are you using the black Graupner prop inserts? Droider swears they're thicker than the prop because they're supposed to smash down inside the prop and lock into the hole in the prop meaning you don't need a bigger washer. I give him credit for thinking it out to that degree but I have washers that I made from fender washers which were then balanced on a prop balancer. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot you'll find fender washers that are sized weird but it's what it says on the package, 1/8"x3/4". I drilled them to 5mm and then ganged them up on a bolt and turned them to get them all round. After that I balanced them and they've worked great so far. If anyone finds a better option please post it.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hay buzzed, why star washers rather than plain washers & nilocks?

Drop Paul an email here

<paul@electricwingman.com>

Buzzed

Buzzed,
I feel your pain. I thought I had a part number for washers but I was wrong. Are you trying to use them on the 5mm shafts of the MK motor/prop adapters? Are you using the black Graupner prop inserts? Droider swears they're thicker than the prop because they're supposed to smash down inside the prop and lock into the hole in the prop meaning you don't need a bigger washer. I give him credit for thinking it out to that degree but I have washers that I made from fender washers which were then balanced on a prop balancer. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot you'll find fender washers that are sized weird but it's what it says on the package, 1/8"x3/4". I drilled them to 5mm and then ganged them up on a bolt and turned them to get them all round. After that I balanced them and they've worked great so far. If anyone finds a better option please post it.
Bart

Bart got the metal reducers from Ziggy and they slide right into the Graupner props. The fender washers sounds like a good alternative unfortunately I don't have a lathe so I can't true them after drilling each to 8mm. Figured there had to be an easy solution but I'm not finding one. I'm really surprised that companies aren't offering such.

Just found these and I'm going to give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzed

Update: Here's a picture of the Graupner prop mounted with the stainless steel fender washer. McMaster-Carr offer fender washers in various diameters and with various sized holes. Part number 91116A140 has a 5.3mm bore and is 15mm in diameter. They come in a bag of 100 (life's supply) for $5.71

Maybe this will help some of you guys with the same problem.

Attachments

• graupner.jpg
    graupner.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 337

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I haven't yet had this problem as usually the prop adaptors I buy come with the washer and I've been fortunate that the motors I've bought also came with washers for the prop adpators. In the few instances where I don't have a washer or would prefer something that looks a bit nicer than a nut and lockwasher, I use these... http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-bull....html?osCsid=763b39492672725c032335a73e66a2d0

Yes they cost more than a simple washer but they look better and with a tiny drop of blue locktite do the job of both wwasher and locknut. Sometimes I use them with a washer if the adaptor they're going on happened to already have one as in the pic below...

IMG_0884a.jpg

Ken

Bartman

that looks like a good solution Ken. you probably don't even need a washer with it, just a dab of blue loctite like you said.

Bartman

what's nice too about them is that they can be used on any type of prop. as it is now i've got different hardware for different props so these will simplify things.
just ordered eight of them.
thanks again for the tip ken.
bart