Gopro lens

Bowley

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a keen heli flyer and found my way into quads when I got a Gaui 330xs.
I bought a gopro because it looked ideal, all my mates have them for sports filming and the nice thing is you dont have to worry about a proper heli camera mount as long as you dont mind it being fixed, I have mine mounted on the bottom upside down which is cool because you can invert the image on the cam settings. Its best to remember that because the last time I used the camera for mountain biking I forgot I had set it inverted and got a whole of upside down video of me and my mates biking.
Any way, I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these lenses on a gopro,

http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/Scuba-Flat-Lens-Glass-for-GoPro-Cameras/mainproduct/view/34273-NA

the lens is meant for underwater use but just wondered what they were like for aerial shots.
The Gopro is a fantasic rugged action camera, light with up to full 1080HD and 30 to 60 fps with AV out. and it has a variable intervalometer for stills. It will survive a crash and in its housing its waterproof so at least I know if I ditch my quad in the water, at least my camera will survive. The wide lens is great for the purpose intended but gash in the air IMO. So what I thought was the absolute perfect heli cam still might be if I try this lens.

Steve

thepelell

that will not replace your gopro lens.. info on that page is misleading. That is a replacement for the bubble shape piece of plastic that they call lens that is on the underwater housing. I have removed mine from the housing because it gives terrible flare and unwanted reflections and decreases image quality. If you want to get rid of fisheye look, you must search Sunex lens for gopro.. Google it and you will find lots of info.

Bowley

Thanks, will have a look for sunex, what your saying is,,that scuba lens is not a lens, your right thats a little misleading.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think I'll just leave it just now as it is, as the new lens means I cant use the polycarbonate housing. The crash/waterproofness and ease of mounting is more important to me at the moment. Its good to know though. heres the lens...

http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL355.PDF

and to fit it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl49NTv7HjY

You can use the Sunex lens with the housing, just take the glass lens off the case. If you want to keep the lens and use the Sunex I've seen someone making an adpator that goes between the case and lens. If you know someone who has a metal lathe the adpator can be made from a chunk of Delrin fairly easily. I have crashed with the Sunex lens sticking through the case and nothing happened to the GoPro or lens, the camera mount took the damage, would rather it had been the GoPro they cost less!

I also wouldn't worry so much about the waterproof qualities of the GoPro housing, the multirotor itself is going to be affected by water sooner than the GoPro will. I drilled the side of my housing for the connection to a video TX so the waterproofing was gone long before I swapped to a Sunex lens.

Ken

Bowley

I was faced with that option, of drilling through the case, but I like to use it for surfing as well so opted against it. did think about buying a skeleton housing for connecting AV out. I just decided to mount a small cheapo cmos camera core onto the gopro housing and transmit that to get a rough idea of what the gopro is seeing.
My gaui is only worth the same as camera so at least if it goes into the water I'll only have to get a new Gaui. I like flying over water so I guess it is going to happen sooner or later. I plan to get some aerial surfing footage.
Thanks for the info Ken, could probably use that adaptor idea and even make it waterproof if need be.

Steve

Emowillcox

Hey Steve... I agree its a cool camera. I got two of them. One has a sunex and I removed the front piece like Ken mentioned. The the other one I left
stock and sealed. You can also buy extra cases.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Am I the only one who bought the Ragecams 6mm lens instead of the Sunex? Honestly i am not that thrilled with it. It seems the image is not as sharp as the standard lens. You also have to focus it very carefully, unlike the stock lens which is so wide angle you dont have to worry about it. I went with it because you can use it in the waterproof housing and I am on the water a lot.

Efliernz

Pete
You are not the only one to have bought the 6mm Ragecam lens.... because I did too.

I bought it because I dropped my Gopro on the road and scratched / pittied the lens. It created colour sun spots if the the sun was anywhere at the front side of the camera. Bugga... not happy! The Ragecam 6mm was too narrow though and had dark edges.
I put the original lens back on my Gopro yesterday and it wont focus properly where I'm having trouble with the top L and R of the picture being slightly out-of focus. I think I've stuffed it!

Off topic - Being rather frustrated after this (edited version...) I bought another camera to try, the "Crocolis HD - 1080P Full HD Extreme Sports Action Camera" from Chinavision. It is less than the Gopro (for me in NZ by US$70) and is liked on the RCG FPV threads. I'll give it a full written review once it's here.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleJ

Actually there are now good brands of action camera that sell in the market in reasonable prices and action camera can still upgraded and become better if you buy good lens and body for good video quality.

SMP

Getting ready to re-lens a bunch of Gopros (Originals) and was considering either the 6 or 8mm Rage. Sounds like from above however the Sunex would be the preferred candidate however yes?

Last edited by a moderator: