Gains for flying my F450 in manual mode?

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hello everyone. I currently have the gains set in my Naza Assistant software as follows:

Basic: 165 165 150 150
Atti: 100 100

This seems to work just fine when flying my vehicle in either GPS-Atti or just Atti modes. However, the few times I have switched to "manual" mode my F450 seems to want to flip. It doesn't quit do the flip, but is more or less very uncontrollable.

I set the S2 pot on my Taranis to control the gains during flight, and even with them relatively turned down (ie, 25-35% less than above posted values), the ship is still very hard to control. Now, I cut my teeth on quadcopters with the Hubsan X4 and spent months mastering the little bast**d. Isn't the F450 in manual mode similar to the X4 (ie, in terms of controlability)?

I'd very much like to hear what some of you use for gains on a similar machine. Notice in my sig that my vehicle is quite light without any cameras or other hardware added for the moment. What say you all?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Leave the gains as they are and use dual rates and exponential to tame down the reactions- DJI controllers are all that bit more twitchy in manual mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Leave the gains as they are and use dual rates and exponential to tame down the reactions- DJI controllers are all that bit more twitchy in manual mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uff! I'm not sure how to do that. I know what Expo curves are in the Taranis (after watching a ton of videos) but I'm not sure what "dual rate" is although I've heard the term a dozen times. Could you point me to a "How To" on this??

henrysj

Expo is the more important one - I guess ur wanting to use manual to have some fun and try flips etc so you will most likely want your full rates at some point

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Expo is the more important one - I guess ur wanting to use manual to have some fun and try flips etc so you will most likely want your full rates at some point

Sorta. Don't really want to flip this machine I worked so hard to build it. But I do have the desire to fly in manual once in a while just to really let her fly. I know there's a way to set this up in my Taranis to implement Carapau's suggestion, I'm just not sure how. I have a general idea in my head to assign a different flying condition (I guess using weights and expo) to once of my 3-pos switches, I just don't know the specifics of it. Been watching videos by both Mark Harrison and just now by R. Scott Page:

http://youtu.be/sfdnixAE_1A?list=UU-A2sf9a_BDbKs81HuU7p4w

These are giving me hints of what to do, but I'm still trying to sort it out. :(