Futaba telemetry with A2 flight controller..how?

Quinton

Was just looking at getting the A2, then it dawned on me, if its still possible to get Voltage telemetry back to the Futaba transmitter with the A2?
Anyone using this setup?

econfly

Was just looking at getting the A2, then it dawned on me, if its still possible to get Voltage telemetry back to the Futaba transmitter with the A2?
Anyone using this setup?

I have been looking into this and I think the only way to get telemetry with the A2 is to use a Futaba Rx and connect to the A2 via DBUS (i.e., don't use the A2's internal Rx). Same goes for the lightbridge product, but in that case there is no work-around because it is the Tx/Rx system. So, you can have on-screen telemetry information (either via OSD and video downlink or lightbridge when it comes out), but the only way to get telemetry on the radio is to not use DJI's latest Rx solutions.

Quinton

Thanks for the information...sort of defeats the object, doesn't it.
DJI don't really think before they put things out.
I would not fly now without voltage telemetry.

Have been looking at the Graupner mz-24 transmitter lately, for its telemetry capabilities, and it looks like a really good bit of kit, especially for the price.
Its good to know whats gong on when you are flying.

econfly

Thanks for the information...sort of defeats the object, doesn't it.
DJI don't really think before they put things out.
I would not fly now without voltage telemetry.

Have been looking at the Graupner mz-24 transmitter lately, for its telemetry capabilities, and it looks like a really good bit of kit, especially for the price.
Its good to know whats gong on when you are flying.

I agree on telemetry -- no way would I fly without it. I am interested in playing around with the lightbridge when it is available. If the screen is mounted on the radio, for example, and the OSD is showing voltage, that would be enough for me. I would like to have an mAh count and current indicator too, but I could be fine with just voltage. From DJI's perspective, the solution seems to be clear. They need another radio in addition to their 7 channel DT17. I would build in a 6 or 7 in inch HD screen, offer 14 channels, and allow similar customization as the Futaba T14sg (channel assignments, mixing, dual rates, etc.). That is where we are going I bet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

That is where we are going I bet.

Well they have the RX and They have a TX with the phantom, so you could probably bet on it.
I should have the Lightbridge pretty soon, as I had my pre order in no1 spot in the UK so will be interesting.
Probably not a good thing to be first I know, but someone has to do it.
I have just ordered a CarbonCore Cortex, now that will be interesting... x4 under 7kgs AUW INC GIMBAL, looking forward to playing with different setups.

econfly

That Cortex looks like a great setup. Interested in how it works out. I have a lightbridge on order too -- with the same concerns about going first. We'll see how it turns out...

sk8brd

Quinton- i love the way it folds. check out some cases people were using for transport nice and small on their Facebook and comes with retracts. want to know if their weight listing is actually true, sometimes i feel they are a little generous in their weight listings.

Quinton

Without the Flight controller stuff its 2.8KG
However was setting the A2 up on it tonight, and I noticed a very slight sputter coming from the motors about every 10 secs or so.
I have it linked using the DS16.
It was very quick but a bit worrying.
Don't even think of putting values, into e-calc with this setup as it will throw up al sorts of warnings, however I think it will work well.

Quinton

quinton -what esc's come with it.

I honestly do not know as they are shrink wrapped, and I would not want to take that apart at this time.
They are 40A 400Hz.
CarbonCore do seem very secretive, I would imagine if you emailed and asked they probably would not tell you.
Lets just say its a "strange" sort of customer support.

Now wtf am I gettng a blip with all the motors every 10 secs, its the same sort you would have if you slightly moved the PMU..just a jump.

Will hook it up later today on th PC to investigate more once everyones out of bed.

sk8brd

yeah-i have been in contact with them before and honestly the responses i got back seemed a bit off. i was inquiring how it was possible to stay under 6kg on a zen hex build with 2 4500's 6s's like they have advertised. when i calculated the weights to the gram over and over it was over the 6kg. they seamed to be more willing to push me into a cortex rather then help me with my build weight wise and they said a cortex would be lighter then a zenmuse on a 950 w/ dji retracts-prolly true cause dji retracts are heavy- but help me with what i need help with ya know? that's why i was asking you what the weight was. anyways if the motor's are rebranded t- motor's and the esc's are simon k there could be your problem. i would swap em with your other sky jib if possible or recalibrate them. There has been an odd occurrence of motor stutter issues lately all on a2.. it's a bit strange. i think the common thread is esc's simon k and certain tiger motors. there is a some procedure you have to do when calibrating certain simony esc's to help prevent issues. i think you need to change the throttle range to 110% then calibrate although not entirely sure. something to look into. also not sure if you heard but the switches not moving on a2 software seems to be mac related only and to use pc for now to set up fc. i remember you saying that there was some issues seeing mode changes on the software. Sleepy c figured it out and posted a thread.

another thing you can do is switch to the futaba and see if it's common. i know copterkids have one now so maybe you could reach out to them and see how their is doing

plexus

No, sorry only with the R7008.
But with the ground station you can read the voltage and alarm.