From the Aloha State...

mauiisl

Hi all,

Been looking at multirotors for a number of months. Finally jumped, got an S800 with RCtimer gimbal and am waiting for batteries (and waiting, waiting, waiting).

In the meantime, have been flying DJI 330 with a GoPro attached, actually, have been repairing the 330 more than flying it. Maui, with its trade winds and all, is an interesting environment. For aerial photography, it is a rich environment. As a learning environment, it is a challenge.

In addition to crashing the 330 (with the collateral benefit of rapidly evolving rebuild skills), I ordered the AeroSim dongle and software and am now merrily munching virtual models. So far, this SIM has, I think, helped develop 'staying in the air until I want to come down -without damage' skills. I force myself to use the 'training' function which has helped my nose-left, nose-right...flight abilities. Also, flying the sim model into the distance w/visual aid turned off, is a major help. Each crash of the 330 stemmed from being flown too far to identify nose (or flight) direction. With the sim, I'm able to replicate this condition and practice hovering, or at least slowing the craft, then left and right, forward and reverse, until I reorient and recover directional control.

It's been a challenge. Once the batteries arrive, I'll carefully fly the S800, in ideal conditions only, until I understand its characteristics fully. In the meantime I'm scouring various forums for information and the collective experience of accomplished pilots. This is the only forum I have actually joined, based on the number and quality of posts I first read as a lurker.

My presenting challenges, other than avoiding highways, rooftop solar panels and other inconvenient crash zones, will be correctly programming the Spektrum X9503 airframe radio --and-- the Futuba radio/Woo Kong setup. Lots to learn, far more than I anticipated and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge represented in these forums. Also, I will, as much as is possible, use the links for purchasing yet more stuff.

It is important to support the things that support one's endeavors.

hjls3

Welcome Mauiisl. Seems you have already figured out there is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than happy to help out. Jealous you live in a beautiful place. Try to get there once a year. Last summer I was there for 2.5 weeks so no trip this summer for me. My mom grew up in Honolulu and all of her family is still there. Everytime I go, I wished I brought a quad or something to fly around. Good luck with your flying and I cant wait to see some of your footage of Hawaii.

mauiisl

Welcome Mauiisl. Seems you have already figured out there is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than happy to help out. Jealous you live in a beautiful place. Try to get there once a year. Last summer I was there for 2.5 weeks so no trip this summer for me. My mom grew up in Honolulu and all of her family is still there. Everytime I go, I wished I brought a quad or something to fly around. Good luck with your flying and I cant wait to see some of your footage of Hawaii.

I can't wait to see some footage of Hawaii either. I do have footage of my lost 330 quad coming down in the driveway of a home three blocks away from an alt of 200 or so feet. I'll post it after I become familiar with the process. I'm looking forward to building a stock inventory of cane field flyovers, whales and, when I'm finally a "real boy" (fly boy), I hope to get some 'in the grill' reels at Jaws when it's firing (Jaws, for those who don't know, is one of the world's largest, surf-able wave breaks).