First flight as a heavy lift version

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The Droidworx AD-6 made its first flight in heavy lift configuration yesterday morning at the flying field. Kind of a weird day weather wise, it was partly sunny at the house with little wind and the closer I got to the field the darker the sky got. By the time I unlocked the gate drove in and got setup the clouds had thickened, the wind started gusting, and as soon as I had a battery connected a rain shower came along.

Not much more than a light sprinkle so I decided to fly anyway, immediately noticed the Hexa was all over the place in the breeze. Had A/H set for vario and tried that out, seemed to be working OK, then set position hold and things got really unstable with the Hexa doing the toilet bowl orbiting routine. Obviously the change to the big motors was going to take some PID tuning to get things back to where they were last time I flew with the Roxxy motors, good thing I brought the Netbook along to get into the software.

Flight timer was set for 7 minutes, landed as the 10 second countdown was sounding, put the Hexa in the back of the car as the rain picked up a bit. I gave some thought to packing it in for the day as it looked like it was going to get worse when one of the heli guys arrived, so we hung out under the overhanging rear door of my CRV for a bit and the rain stopped. Did a test flight of the Hoverfly quad in the new MK frame with the new firmware release, flight controller was definitely not happy with the new firmware but that's a story of its own.

Hooked up the Netbook and made some changes to the MK gyro tuning and navi settings, went up for another 7 minutes. Noticeable improvement so I knew I was heading in the right direction on the setting though still not where it needed to be.

For the third flight I switched from vario to fixed A/H and ramped the settings up some more, mainly the gyro stability and dynamic stability settings and this time around it flew nicely with no wobble or orbiting when in P/H. By now the rain had stopped, temperature dropped, and the wind picked up blowing most of the clouds out toward the sea. With the sun out and the wind gusting I made some final tweaks to the settings and flew the last battery packs with the Hexa performing as well as it did on previous flights with the smaller motors.

Even though I didn't get a chance to do any FPV flight or get any decent stills or video it turned out to be a good day for getting a new setup dialed in. The changing conditions made flight challenging though it was good for testing stability. I also did several flights with Hoverfly between taking the Hexa up and did manage to get some video with that one even with it acting up on the new software. If I can find some time to do a bit of cut and paste on the video files I'll post it up on Youtube.

Haven't recharged the Hexa batteries yet to see how much is left after 7 minute flights, I'll do that later today.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

baker55

Weather, weather. Here too the weather yesterday was cold and windy, today its warm and windy. But I found if I'm very careful my Hexa is actually quite stable in the wind. I try and stay out of the gusts though. Hope it goes better today Ken. Shaun

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Just recharged one of the sets of packs, it was at roughly 60% discharge after 7 minutes in the air. After some quick calculations it looks like it would hit 80% discharge around 9 1/2 minutes, so I think 8 to 8 1/2 minutes on the timer is reasonable assuming it can be brought back to takeoff point and back on the ground within a minute. If abusing the battery packs a little wasn't a concern, 10 minutes appears to be within the limits of the packs, I put back a little over 2900 mAh on this cycle, the packs are 5000s.

The 4S packs will be here Thursday according to tracking info, I might have the time to put a set of connectors on and do some testing before I have to get on a plane and fly out on Sunday. I'm hoping that carrying 10,000 mAh will get the flight time up to the 12 minute range factoring in the extra weight of the second pack which should put the RTF weight at around 7 1/2 lbs.

Ken

zorba

Congrats Ken.
7 1/2 lbs eh?
Did you had a camera mounted on her?
Mine comes in at 4.840gr with camera and all. I hope she comes off the ground.
Bill

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Congrats Ken.
7 1/2 lbs eh?
Did you had a camera mounted on her?
Mine comes in at 4.840gr with camera and all. I hope she comes off the ground.
Bill

Thats ready to fly weight with 2, 4S 5000 mAh packs and my modified GoPro HD in plastic case on tripod pedestal mount. I could probably reclaim a 1/2 pound or so if swapped the tinted dome for the stock Droidworx along with removing the FPV gear and few other odds and ends, but in the long run how much difference would that make? Probably not much in terms of flight time.

I just ordered a set of 12 x 3.8 APC props for it, just hoping they're going to fit the stock AD-6 frame. Droidworx says the frame will take 10 to 12 inch props, right now I have Graupmer 11 inch on it and there's just over an inch of space tip to tip, so it's going to be close I think. If they work well I may spring for the set of 355mm arms and be able to go up to 13 inch props, the motors can handle it and it could use more a little more lift as it sits. I'm wondering what the difference will be going from a 5 inch pitch to 3.8, have to wait and see as that's the only option for forward and reverse pitch 12 inch props at the moment.

I see Quadrocopter will be stocking Aerobots 12 x 3.8 carbon fiber props, that would be interesting if you can get past the $25 per prop price! :eek:

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: