Fantastic Read - Flight School

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Found this at the weekend and thought I would post it up here. This is the BEST piece of info I have found for MK beginners.. He should be congratulated on his work and encouraged to write more by people commenting on his work and encouraging him to continuie adding to it.

Hello All,

I have compiled a MK Flight Training Manual from information presented on this site and other sites that pertain to flying the MK. I hope it can be uses by those who are looking for additional information once they have completed their build.
The manual contains the following topics:

Introduction
Chapter 1. Introduction to Flight Training
Chapter 2. FAA
Chapter 3. Ground School
Chapter 4. Flight Procedures and Checklist
Chapter 5. Basic Flight Training Maneuvers
Chapter 6. MK Navigation Systems
Chapter 7. Aerial Photography
Chapter 8. FPV Flying
Chapter 9. Emergencies
Chapter 10. Post Flight

Here is a link, While it is not completely comprehensive, it's a start. Please let me know if you would like any additional information added, or, if you have any corrections to the content.

Heres the link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D_neH0ttJiPRXg5Uo8s7U95AD6GwlgP6TMd65LmMGyo/edit?hl=en&pli=1#

Cabe

Many thanks for posting this Droider.

Thankfully most of it isn't all that MK specific and the pilot training exercises will be invaluable once I get mine in the air.

hevi6000

The BL-Controllers are connected to the main board with a power distribution bus system
(I2C) and each controller is given a unique address that is used by the main processor to
communicate with the BL-controller.
Brushless motors don't use brushes for energy-distribution to the rotor. In contrary to the
motors with brushes, the magnets are rotating while the coils do not. That's why you can't use
a DC current, AC current with precise pulses is needed to drive the motors. This AC current is
provided by the BL-Ctrl.

If you allow, I'd like to make some remarks based on the somewhat incorrect information provided in this document. The I²C protocol is not a power distribution system itself. The power between the battery and the BL-Ctrl units is distributed as always via power cables or by the integrated power distribution board. I²C is merely used as the communication protocol between the motor controllers and the FlightControl unit.

Secondly BLDC motors are not AC motors and AC current is at no given time going through the motor. The difference with brushed motors is just that the commutation is done with transistors, not mechanically. And as said, the magnets rotate instead the coil - but it is still DC current.

Hope this helps...

FOX222

If you allow, I'd like to make some remarks based on the somewhat incorrect information provided in this document. The I²C protocol is not a power distribution system itself. The power between the battery and the BL-Ctrl units is distributed as always via power cables or by the integrated power distribution board. I²C is merely used as the communication protocol between the motor controllers and the FlightControl unit.

Secondly BLDC motors are not AC motors and AC current is at no given time going through the motor. The difference with brushed motors is just that the commutation is done with transistors, not mechanically. And as said, the magnets rotate instead the coil - but it is still DC current.

Hope this helps...

I concur. A lot of info refers to these motors as ac which is incorrect. The power going to the motor is DC and yes the motor has 3 phases but this is not the same as 3 phase ac power!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
hevi6000 and Fox222.

The document was collated by Recce2. Recce2 is now a member on this forum. He has written it as a relative beginner to MK and to multiRotors. He is a photographer not an diehard electronics Guru. I have found it a very useful document as a beginner to RC and MK multirotors.
I am surprised more of the experts on this site and the MK.us site I origionally found it on did not pick up on your findings. I am sure at the beginning of the document he says please advise him of alterations required. Maybe you could PM him so he could make the necessary amendments to the bit of the electronics you refer to.

Dave

FOX222

Sorry if I sounded like I was putting it down. I have thanked Recce2 for is work in the past because I have used it many times as a reference to the new comers. I thought he might even be a writer by trade as he communication skills are excellent.
My comments on the brushless motors was more about the many times I have heard them called an AC motor and I have a tendency to be too technical.

I didn't mean to offend. Recce2 has done a great think here.

Thanks for the time and effort Resse2!

John

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry if I sounded like I was putting it down.

John.. not at all, as stated he does ask for input to make it better. Send him a PM and tell him so he can correct it.. I also found his camera one very useful and he personally helped me set up my Nex5 and a couple of other issues I have had which I am very grateful to him for. Top guy and a fantastic photographer.

Laters

Dave

recce2

John.. not at all, as stated he does ask for input to make it better. Send him a PM and tell him so he can correct it.. I also found his camera one very useful and he personally helped me set up my Nex5 and a couple of other issues I have had which I am very grateful to him for. Top guy and a fantastic photographer.

Laters

Dave

Thanks for the input from everyone. I have corrected the I2C reference and changed the motor AC current to a pulsed DC in the document.
If I have stated anything else incorrectly, I will be glad to make more corrections.
Once, again, I really appreciate the critique. This is a constant learning process for me.

Best regards,
Dennis(Recce2)

Crash

Defies Psychics
Re. AC vs DC:

If I was to measure the voltage with a scope, would each of the 3 motor phases be alternating the current flow between positive and negative? (Yes right?)

It may not be a pretty text book sine wave but doesn't it alternate on each phase?

This sounds kinda like the debates between engines and motors. I have a motorcycle in my back yard and it doesn't have an electric motor. :)

FOX222

Attachments

• WnW_sidecar.jpg
    WnW_sidecar.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 442

hevi6000

Re. AC vs DC:

If I was to measure the voltage with a scope, would each of the 3 motor phases be alternating the current flow between positive and negative? (Yes right?)

It may not be a pretty text book sine wave but doesn't it alternate on each phase?

This sounds kinda like the debates between engines and motors. I have a motorcycle in my back yard and it doesn't have an electric motor. :)

I am sorry if I sound arrogant, but there is nothing to debate here. The commutator switches the polarity of the current that goes through the coil. Exactly the same thing happens in brushed DC motors, so if you imagine yourself sitting on the rotor of a brushed DC motor and measuring the voltage with a meter, while you are still sitting there - you would also see a current that is switching its polarity depending of the position of the rotor.

Have a look at this illustration for clearance. The current is switched after every half turn of the rotor.
motor1.gif

And the same thing done with more phases via semiconductor commutation:
4-pole-bldc-motor021804.gif

A quote from wikipedia:
Although BLDC motors are practically identical to permanent magnet AC motors, the controller implementation is what makes them DC. While AC motors feed sinusoidal current simultaneously to each of the legs (with an equal phase distribution), DC controllers only approximate this by feeding full positive and negative voltage to two of the legs at a time. The major advantage of this is that both the logic controllers and battery power sources also operate on DC, such as in computers and electric cars. In addition, the approximated sine wave leaves one leg undriven at all times, allowing for back-EMF-based sensorless feedback.

A BLDC motor has permanent magnets which rotate and a fixed armature, eliminating the problems of connecting current to the moving armature. An electronic controller replaces the brush/commutator assembly of the brushed DC motor, which continually switches the phase to the windings to keep the motor turning. The controller performs similar timed power distribution by using a solid-state circuit rather than the brush/commutator system.