External Potentiometer

mbsteed

aerial video centric
We have a 3 axis gimbal and wondered about the need for an external potentiometer. We will be using Savox 1258 modified for 360 degrees. We plan to use the Hover-fly gimbal controller. Do we need to use a potentiometer if we are using the gimbal controller to stabilize the camera? Confused.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
...so no need for an external potentiometer? Logically I don't see the difference between an internal and an external one (those are both going to be moving relative to the other so .... what is the point?

Efliernz

Pete
The external pot is great if you are modifying the servo for continuous rotation with reduction belts/gears. The internal pot is only good for 270 deg of servo rotation. If you have a 5:1 belt/gear reduction from servo to tilt, for the mount to tilt 90 deg down, the servo needs to rotate 4 x 90=450 degrees. If you move the pot onto the tilt axis for position feedback, you get a much better resolution and smoother movement.

I hope that helps :)

Some gimbal controllers dont use the feedback pot (like Skyline). They use a set 2.4K:2.4K resister to simulate the pot sitting in the middle the whole time. It alters the servo signal to make it move to the wanted position.

Pete

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Efliernz,

Thanks for the information - that makes so much more sense now. Great information. I think in our case, we will setup the Hoverfly gimbal on the camera plate so that will probably be redundant with the potentiometer.