Error code on Naza Assistant

Bowley

Anyone had this error code before on Naza Assistant: CFG-ERR8 ?
It says to cal Tx but cant get any further than this error code.

Cheers

View attachment 2013

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 235

I'm getting this same error... It's driving me nuts! What was wrong with your TX?! Mine is bound & turned on, but I still get this stupid error... Any help will be highly appreciated!

DennyR

It seems to do this the first time you update the latest code. Usually ok on the second attempt. Just testing Naza on the F1 and it all seems ok.

Make sure you connect you Rx and ESC's the right way as the signal rail is on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now that you say this, I did update the firmware... And I think that's when this started happening... But I tried 200 times after that and each time got the same outcome. This was my first time dealing with a quad, so trying to get it figured out. Here's another question: my ESC's have internal BEC. Do I need to cut the red wire on all of them going to NAZA? If so how do I power the NAZA? Through the VU?

Yes. It recognizes the NAZA just fine. The VU is solid green when connected to the PC. So the connection is good too... But it does give the ERR-CFG8 error just like the screen shot the OP posted. I'm using DX8/AR8000 TX/RX. They are bound.

kloner

Aerial DP
make sure where it says receiver type at the top of the screen you calibrate at is set to traditional and not d-bus

You have to calibrate a couple times to get the error to leave once you get it going

jforkner

I got same message after upgrading the firmware. I simply re-calibrated my Tx, and all was well. There was a re-set of the power to the MC in there somewhere---can't remember if it was before or after the re-cal.

Jack

rwilabee

If you are using ESC's with BEC you should cut the red wire. If you are using the DJI ESC's they have no BEC

Rich

Now that you say this, I did update the firmware... And I think that's when this started happening... But I tried 200 times after that and each time got the same outcome. This was my first time dealing with a quad, so trying to get it figured out. Here's another question: my ESC's have internal BEC. Do I need to cut the red wire on all of them going to NAZA? If so how do I power the NAZA? Through the VU?

are you sure that the connections at both ends - AR8000 and Naza - are the right way up?

Have quadruple-checked this... They are connected right...

make sure where it says receiver type at the top of the screen you calibrate at is set to traditional and not d-bus

You have to calibrate a couple times to get the error to leave once you get it going

It's set to traditional--did this right away... When I click the Start, the slides do not correspond with the stick movements... Here are more details about the setup before I proceed:

The ESC's are DYS 30A ESC. So they have internal BEC. I was told by the original builder (bought this as a "brand new" build that was supposed to be RTF--but came with no RX and you know the rest) that the red wires going from the ESC to NAZA need not be cut unlike what I've read in many other places... He's a great builder and very knowledgeable, so I left the power cables there...

The VU is not connected except for when USB is needed. I understand the benefits of the LED when flying, but I haven't soldered it to the MPB yet. So what I asked him originally was whether I could power the VU through a spare channel on the RX. He said yes originally. But I guess I caught him at a bad time, since later he said he was wrong and that shouldn't have been done... nothing smoked, etc. when I did connect it that way though. May I have bricked the NAZA that way?!

I am using a brand new AR8000 + satellite. Both of them bind with the brand new DX8 just fine. The lights in RX/sat flash like they should when binding. BUT when the system is powered up, the RX or sat show no sign of any lights inside them. This is my first "air" RX unit, but all my ground units do have a light that lights up and stays lit while powered... So could I be dealing with a faulty RX unit perhaps? But then again, they bind find it seems... Update (as I was typing this!): I found another RX unit (an AR6110e) and bound it with my DX8 (again with no problem). But the same exact symptoms! I plug the VU to the NAZA's LED pins only (not powered through anything else), then connect the power to the system, then I hook it to my PC via USB (have done it in different orders with identical outcome). The LED turns solid green. And I immediately get same symptoms as before--this is the same whether I am using the AR8000 or AR6110e. Basically same thing Bowley used to get: http://www.multirotorforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3202&d=1325692026. I reversed the throttle... changed my two-position switch to see if it'll kick out of the fail-safe, etc. with no luck. When I click on Start for calibration of the TX, the slides do not move when I move the sticks on the TX--no matter what RX I am using...

And when I turn on the unit without USB attached but with the LED connected and powered through a separate battery (not RX anymore), the LED will go through the initial green flashes (I think 3 or 4) and then pauses and then continually flashes red (not orange). Nothing arms the motors or any other movement. The RX/sat light do not come on either...

The builder/seller thinks that the NAZA has been bricked somehow. He's cool enough that he's sending me a new NAZA; I'm sending this back, but I just don't want the new one to get bricked if that's what happened to this one!

I still think that once I upgraded the F/W things started going to south. I should've not upgraded it to see if that thing was even working or not!

Oh and one last thought/observation: One of the ESC's (number 4) tends to get really warm (not hot to the touch, but definitely warm) when the whole thing is powered up (whether when I am connecting to USB or without the USB just powered up and hopelessly waiting for something miraculous to happen!), while the other ESC's are cold and lifeless...

I got same message after upgrading the firmware. I simply re-calibrated my Tx, and all was well. There was a re-set of the power to the MC in there somewhere---can't remember if it was before or after the re-cal.

Jack

See post #13. It doesn't let me calibrate anything...

If you are using ESC's with BEC you should cut the red wire. If you are using the DJI ESC's they have no BEC

Rich

See post #13--just posted it. These do have internal BEC, but the builder assured me that he always leaves them in regardless of whether they have BEC or not since they can always act as a backup source of power... So that's pretty much the only thing I have not tried yet. Now if I do remove all the reds from the ESC's, remind me again how the FC is powered? Does that mean I have to have the VU connected to the power source and to the FC so that it can power up the FC as well?

kloner

Aerial DP
you need to slide the red wire out of all four esc's, can flip it back and heatshrink if you wanna not "cut the wire" , the bec's are fighting each other

Slide em out and try it, worse case you gotta slide em back in but that's a known problem. That big square black thing with the flashing lights is a bec

Bowley

I'm getting this same error... It's driving me nuts! What was wrong with your TX?! Mine is bound & turned on, but I still get this stupid error... Any help will be highly appreciated!

I dont know what the issue was, initially I could get no response from the Tx on the assistant so it would not let me go any futher.
I just did another calibrate and it worked second time round ???

you need to slide the red wire out of all four esc's, can flip it back and heatshrink if you wanna not "cut the wire" , the bec's are fighting each other

Slide em out and try it, worse case you gotta slide em back in but that's a known problem. That big square black thing with the flashing lights is a bec

You're absolutely right... I have nothing to lose at this point really. I am about to ship this back to him. It takes a second to remove the red wires... Will give it a shot--frankly though, I don't think this alone would solve the problem even though I don't know what the problem really is...

kloner

Aerial DP
yours is showing all kinds of sign of "weird" binds but won't light when booted...... if the wires on the rx are upside down, it'll bind and then without bind plug, booted wants to flash like it needs to bind so thats out

assuming you got the bec wire in X3 and LED in the proper orientation, that also eliminates it Brown wire up? LED plug is red wire to the outside

But knowing theres a bec on in the escs and there plugged in along with the external bec (should never be done) is a known problem, i'm just anfmilliar with the symptom, but inital thoughts are smoke, should only ever be one bec unless you got a redundant rx that usually has 2 or more power inputs like 2 battery leads with 2 batteries, not so much multiple becs.

kloner

Aerial DP
I dont know what the issue was, initially I could get no response from the Tx on the assistant so it would not let me go any futher.
I just did another calibrate and it worked second time round ???

mine does that too........ you cause the error from screwing up the calibration first time around. like when you hit calibrate and the sticks aren't moving the bars and to a point where you centered em and hit finish with them all in the green. anything else causes that error and it takes 2 calibrations to clear it. might fly with one calibration, but the error stays

... assuming you got the bec wire in X3 and LED in the proper orientation, that also eliminates it Brown wire up? LED plug is red wire to the outside

By BEC are you referring to the VU? I though that's the only thing that'd go to the X3 and I thought that was optional (for voltage control)... The NAZA is being fed by the ESC's basically--all the 4 of them it appears! So the VU does not even need to be powered up (or even be present according to the builder who says he never uses the VU except for programming purposes). Are you saying that the VU acts as a BEC that should feed the NAZA instead the ESC's?

And yes all the browns are in the correct orientation... I am really left with no choice but remove the reds from ESC's, and then feed the VU like it should be (through the battery) and then connect the VU's V-Sen & LED to the X3 & LED sections of the NAZA. I think that's what I need to do.......