XAircraft EOR Productions, hangar 9 FBO video

Tomstoy2

Test 5 with the Hexa, fpv test.

Well, mixed results, I'm afraid.
All started well. Beautiful day, about 56 degrees F, and wind about 7 mph, nice and sunny.
Went to my usual test area for my heli's, inbetween the housing developments.
I slowed down the reaction speed of the gimbal after the last test, and that appears to help, but now I think I have it a little too slow.
My nephiew was there, great kid, just in case I needed him to fetch.
Take off went well and the only issue I had was drifting because of the wind. I was in attitude mode so I wouldn't need to worry about altitude control. Wind was steadily increasing in strength.
Was really impressed by the quality of the picture of the fpv camera! Of course, the video is with the GoPro. However, it was really cool! I just pushed her around some, not worring too much, but still got the weak knee feeling steadily growing the longer I was up.
Brought her back around close so my nephiew could get a few pictures, thought I would bring her down, but canceled that thought and took her back up. Suddenly, she starts yawing left and no matter how much right aileron I gave it she kept pushing left!
What I ended up doing, as I was running out of real estate fast was to chop the throttle and let her drop, then apply full throttle to minimize impact, all before she got over the street.
Sent my nephiew to go fetch, ( might have to employ him as my new bird-dog. Wonder how he would take to a duck in his mouth? ), while I packed up.
Not much damage. 2 broken booms and 4 screwed up props. About $35 in damage.
Still, puzzeled what went wrong? Stupid me, what I should have done was to rudder 180 degrees and see if it would drift back or not, but my mind was in full lock-down mode by then.
Can't remember what the wind was then. As I said, it was increasing. Was probably worse up there than down on the ground, so it's totally possible it just got blown down field.
Came home and down loaded the video, but about 3 quarters thru the flight, for some reason, the sd card came unlocked and popped out so nothing after that got recorded. Would really like to have had that to help analize what went wrong.
So, the first wreck is all behind me now. I'll get her all back together and try her again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xzIA8hkJ_1k

View attachment 2918View attachment 2919

Attachments

• P2250017.jpg
    P2250017.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 363
  • P2250019.jpg
    P2250019.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 398