Dronemotor MT1806-2280kv, what propeller size and type for best stability? Cut the props?

CarlosRodrigo

Hi guys :)

I am currently building my first ever homemade drone which is very exciting.
I bought this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=84357 that also included x4 ESC's and also some props.

However I would like to make my own props (3d print)/order new ones/cut them because I think they are a bit to "long". I have done a bit of research and I see that if you cut the props to short for the motor then it might not generate enough thrust for it to fly. Also I have read that smaller props gives more stability but I do not know if that is 100 % true.

So my question is: If i decide to cut my props, how much can i cut them? Maybe it is hard to answer. But are we talking 1 inch max or 2-3? And would shorter props make the drone more stable? And would a change of propellers to a different model be a good idea? I read somewhere if you use a 3-prop model you can decrease the length even more compared to a 2-prop model.

I am very new to drones, motors and electronics but I absolutely love it (!!) so I apologize before hand if my questions does not make any sense!! :)

If you really want shorter props, your best option might just getting your hands on Tri-Props with standard tips, 4" bull nose tri props might be too much for those motors. If you do use them on those motors, watch the temps. I use 4" bullnose on 2204/2205s with no problem.

Biggest problem with cuttings these is that 5x3s are already pretty tame, they are generally high efficiency low maximum thrust props. You might not get much cut off before you start struggling.

Smaller props will react faster due to less load on the motor, will be less affected by wind due to less surface area and give you less flight time because they need to spin faster to generate the same thrust as a larger prop.