DroidWorx Y-6 V3 HL with DJI Wookong-M Custom Build By AddictiveRC

We Just Completed a really Nice Machine for a Client and I thought I'd Post Some Pics of our Build.

This is a Custom Built DroidWorx Y-6 V3 HL with Wookong-M Flight Controller.

Specs of Build:

Frame: DW Y-6 V3 Heavy Lifter
Motors: Avroto 770KV
ECS's: HobbyWing 30amp
Props: Graupner 11 x 5 E-Props
Flight Control: DJI Wookong-M
Camera Gimbal: PhotoHigher AV130
LED's: Xogear WaterProof
Custom Made FC Plate For Wookong-M
Custom Made ESC Power Distribution Harness
Remarks:
This set-up proved to be extremely stable and Nice to fly Machine for AP Work.
Our customer gave us great feeback and we will be build more Machines for His Business.
For Details Visit our Website at RcHobbyHelicopter
Cheers, John W.

AddictiveRC/RcHobbyHelicopter
N. American Distributor for DJI-Innovations Products.
View attachment 2749View attachment 2750

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 815
Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
How come no one has tested this with a prop off 1 motor to test what happens? That would be the first thing I would do to see if having a coaxial setup was worth it.

We have had our Customers with our Karbonic-SIX 13inch Y-6 lose a Prop and they reported the Flight was unchanged.

As long as the Motor has enough thrust to stabilize the Air Frame Flight is unchanged.

It's a Proven Platform.

Cheers, John W.

vislaw

AddictiveRC built this Droidworx Y6 heavy lifter for us and I just want to express what a great pleasure it has been to do business with John and his associates. My company produces 3D animations of major transportation disasters for law firms here on the west coast. The completed animations are used in trials, mediation/arbitration hearings and settlement conferences. Thus, we constantly require high-resolution aerial plates and video footage. We have been using an MK Quad and a Droidworx AD6HL, the latter lifting a GH2. We have seen a big increase in demand for our aerial-based forensic animation, so I approached John about adding a new copter to carry another GH2 for us.

John first took time to have me describe in detail the elements of our work with special emphasis on flight conditions, camera specs, and transportation requirements. He came up with some alternative solutions and at the top of the list was a new Karbonic Airframe that John's company will be building later this year. However, we needed to put the copter to work now and so the Droidworx was the best choice for us. I was very interested in its performance in comparison with the AD6HL we are currently flying.

To say we are delighted is an understatement. The quality of the workmanship is completely pro-level and I would recommend AddictiveRC to anyone needing a build for professional AP work. John told me the Graupner props would make a difference and I have to say this thing flies like butter and is much quieter than the AD6 (which has bigger APC slow-fly props on it). John also told me that our WKM mounting on the AD6 was too close to the electronics and, again, it is clear that he knows what he is talking about. He cut a slot in the crash dome so that he could mount that GPS/Compass on a high mast on the front boom. The thing gets full GPS lock with no red flashes in less than 30 seconds and when we switch to GPS mode it hangs in the sky without the "toilet-bowling" we've been struggling with on the AD6. I've ordered more Graupner props to try out on the AD6 and I'm going to remount the GPS/Compass to match what John did here to see if we can match the performance of this new bird.

DJI should give AddictiveRC a bonus because this build and the tuning they did really shows off the capability of the WKM.

I've already had a couple of civil engineers we regularly work with come out to observe a demo of how the Y6 flies and next week we are scheduled to fly for the legal department of Caltrans, which should generate some new work for us once the lawyers see how much better our low altitude aerial plates look in comparison to the fly-over footage that Caltrans uses for their big cases currently.

I can't thank John Wood enough for the attention he gave us and for the quality of work he does.

vislaw,

It was simply a pleasure working with you as well.

What you are doing is cutting edge in your field and I found it Fascinating hearing about it.

We were very pleased with the Results of your Build.

We look forword to building you more Machines as per our last phone conversation.

And We also look forword to meeting you too.

Best Wishes, John Wood

AddictiveRC,LLC/RcHobbyhelicopter.com

vislaw

any onboard video to prove this extraordinary quality build?

So far we've only shot static plates with it (these from the last shoot for Kawasaki on a case involving a crash of one of their new off-road vehicles). Tomorrow, however, one of the guys is scheduled to shoot video with it and I'll be happy to post some footage here.
View attachment 2751View attachment 2752

Attachments

• McDonald028.jpg
    McDonald028.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 613
  • McDonald022.jpg
    McDonald022.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 566

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would personally like to see the DJI on a Y6 in video fly with 5 props. This would be a game changer for me. The Y is nice for FOV but I dont see any other perks if the DJI cant utilize the redundancy potential of a coax heli. Clearly MK does it fine on a hex, Y6,x8 and of course octo. Im ready to yank 3 arms off, lets see some proof! :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586503

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would personally like to see the DJI on a Y6 in video fly with 5 props.

It does.. I tried it... I keep meaning to shoot some video of it.. I had a prop spin off on my MK Y6.. I thought I was seeing things at first but I managed to get it down ok. I have tried it on my WKM Y6 on the back top otor and it still flies..

I love both my Y6 both WKM and MK HL.. though if there are any really interested MK enthusiasts out there I would happily sell the MK Y6 so I could build a WKM HL Y6!

Guess I wont be getting any takers now!

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Here's my take on this:

1) The MK on a flat hex cuts out the opposite motor to fly as a quad. At least this was what I saw in one guys video. tell me if it is not MK.

2) The DJI does nothing different when a motor fails, it just tries to fly with whats there. Not sure what difference that makes other than not shutting an opposite motor off.

3) On a Y6 it would need to be able to fly on 3 motors.

4) On an X8 it would need to fly on 4 motors.

5) on a flat 6, it would only work if the opposite motor shut down to fly as a quad.

6) on a flat octo you can still use 7 of 8 motors. Now that cant really be beat can it?

On my Xaircraft value? 8, 2 props broke mid air, but I was able to bring her down level-ish without any damage. Then again, it is made of very flexible plastic and it was on sand. There has to be a reason everyone flying expensive gear is on a flat 8. I think the X8 would be the next best thing as you at least have 4 motors to cushion your fall. When Bart releases his bad *** new rig, I think we will all be re-thinking our purchases.

Have a Look at the New Karbonic-60Six.
620mm Y-6 Designed for the Wookong-M Flight Controller.
We use aero-grade CF Sheets (90 degree weave) for all our KarbonicDrones Air Frames.
And they are cut to ISO 90001 tolerances.
Details at RcHobbyHelicopter.com
View attachment 2758

Attachments

• KARBONIC-60SIX--38X18-300DP.jpg
    KARBONIC-60SIX--38X18-300DP.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 495

Have a Look at the New Karbonic-60Six.
620mm Y-6 Designed for the Wookong-M Flight Controller.
We use aero-grade CF Sheets (90 degree weave) for all our KarbonicDrones Air Frames.
And they are cut to ISO 90001 tolerances.
Details at RcHobbyHelicopter.com
View attachment 4082

How does this compare to the Droidworx y-6 for AP?
(Awesome work, by the way. Your videos on YouTube are very smooth.)

Also, in the build listed in the first post, is the gimbal controlled by the Wookong?

Michael64

Yes the AV130 is controlled by the WKM unit I am the builder for and tuner for of the ADX 6HL posted. The new Karbonic 60Six should be extremely better than the Droidworx. The motor to motor spacing in just slightly larger than the Droidworx frame. The frame has a better layout for all the electronics. We should have the frame within the month and be able to build and fully test the frame with the WKM unit. It should prove to be a main player in the AP world.

Michael64

Yes the AV130 is controlled by the WKM unit I am the builder and tuner of the ADX 6HL posted. The new Karbonic 60Six should be extremely better than the Droidworx. The motor to motor spacing in just slightly larger than the Droidworx frame. The frame has a better layout for all the electronics. We should have the frame within the month and be able to build and fully test the frame with the WKM unit. It should prove to be a main player in the AP world.

Michael64

That's good to hear. Have you set a price for the Karbonic 60Six?

Great work on the build by the way.

Michael64

On pricing you will have to contact John and RcHobbyHelicopter.com its his frame design and not sure if pricing has been set yet.
Thanks for the kind words on the build.

Michael64

I am Working on Pricing. It should be competitive with most of the High End 620mm Y-6 CF Frames in the Current market.

Everything will be Released on the Karbonic-600X X4/8 and Karbonic-60Six and TLG-1 LG early March.

We have the Frames Being cut right now.

Thanks for asking, I can't wait to get my own Karbonic-60Six in the air.

Cheers, John W.
AddictiveRC, LLC/RchobbyHelicopter.com