DJI Zenmuse Z15N with Sony A6000 - HDMI Cable

Jumpy07

I had been using a Mini to Micro HDMI cable on the Z15N for my A6000, (Z15N comes with Mini for Sony Nex), but kept breaking the adapters.... so was looking for alternative.. decided to try the DJI BMPCC Micro HDMI cables and use it on the Z15, but was not sure it would work...

Fitted it this morning.. and all ok... this is a much more elegant solution.. and more robust..

Remove the 4 screws from the HDMI board under the gimbal.. remove old cable.. and insert new one.. job done..

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji-zenmuse-bmpcc-hdmi-cable.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigbangpro

Brilliant ---- I've been trying to solve same problem for weeks --- how's the A6000?

How does the A6000 compare to the 5n ? I have the Z15 for Nex7 ---

hope per your method works for me ---QUOTE=Jumpy07;177517]I had been using a Mini to Micro HDMI cable on the Z15N for my A6000, (Z15N comes with Mini for Sony Nex), but kept breaking the adapters.... so was looking for alternative.. decided to try the DJI BMPCC Micro HDMI cables and use it on the Z15, but was not sure it would work...

Fitted it this morning.. and all ok... this is a much more elegant solution.. and more robust..

Remove the 4 screws from the HDMI board under the gimbal.. remove old cable.. and insert new one.. job done..

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji-zenmuse-bmpcc-hdmi-cable.html[/QUOTE]

Jumpy07

How does the A6000 compare to the 5n ? I have the Z15 for Nex7 ---

I had a Nex 5N before and I can only comment on a comparison against that, its a major improvement, but I also changed my lens to a 19mm Sigma at the same time. I am now able to use AF which I couldn't before, results are also much more predictable, dynamic range is much better.. with 24mp and the new sensor it is far better for still images than most of my expensive Canon SLR's... stills are at 4k res.. Video is still only full HD though... but tbh is very good.. no over exposure which was always an issue on the 5N.

Good price for A6000 makes it a great upgrade for those with a Nex gimbal

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigbangpro

Now I need to find the cable ---

I already have the A6000 and the 19mm Sigma lens --- glad to hear it is an improvement --- flying a 5t now --- bought a Lumix GH4 today and was disappointed that the movie autofocus was not close to A6000 ---i hope I can find the cable here --- I'll be in St Andrews next July to attend my 3rd British Open there, or as you say, the Open Championship --- Not the first time I've gotten much needed assistance from a Scot --- Thank You iQUOTE=Jumpy07;181124]I had a Nex 5N before and I can only comment on a comparison against that, its a major improvement, but I also changed my lens to a 19mm Sigma at the same time. I am now able to use AF which I couldn't before, results are also much more predictable, dynamic range is much better.. with 24mp and the new sensor it is far better for still images than most of my expensive Canon SLR's... stills are at 4k res.. Video is still only full HD though... but tbh is very good.. no over exposure which was always an issue on the 5N.

Good price for A6000 makes it a great upgrade for those with a Nex gimbal[/QUOTE]

kuau

SO there are no issues using an A6000 / Sigma 19mm on a Zenmuse Z15n? Does the Zenmuse need to be recalibrated or anything?
Lastly is the cable mentioned above available in the USA from anyone?

Cheshirecat

SO there are no issues using an A6000 / Sigma 19mm on a Zenmuse Z15n? Does the Zenmuse need to be recalibrated or anything?
Lastly is the cable mentioned above available in the USA from anyone?

If the weight distribution changes you will need to, but provided you are no going mad and adding lots of extra weight it is not all that tricky, just needs a bit of time and a level surface.
I rebalanced my Z15N and NEX7 when i added a ND Filter, if you pile on too much extra weight you might over stress the motors and electronics.
I currently use the Sony 16mm Pancake lens which is a bit so so, thinking of changing to a Sigma 24mm which is around the same weight.
the A6000 is lighter than the NEX7 so you have a head start.

Changing the Zen balance won't do anything for your warranty though.

Bigbangpro

Rebalancing for A6000

QUOTE=Cheshirecat;182140]If the weight distribution changes you will need to, but provided you are no going mad and adding lots of extra weight it is not all that tricky, just needs a bit of time and a level surface.
I rebalanced my Z15N and NEX7 when i added a ND Filter, if you pile on too much extra weight you might over stress the motors and electronics.
I currently use the Sony 16mm Pancake lens which is a bit so so, thinking of changing to a Sigma 24mm which is around the same weight.
the A6000 is lighter than the NEX7 so you have a head start.

Changing the Zen balance won't do anything for your warranty though.[/QUOTE]
i have the Z15 for NEX7, but I never bothered flying the NEX7 because the hybrid autofocus is so much better ---
Fixed focus even at infinity always looks soft to me --- I am still waiting for the micro hdmi cable to fly the A6000,
but I've been flying the NEX5T --- not as good as the A6000, but better than the 7 --- using the Sigma 19mm which I like, and also the Sony 35mm with image stabilization --- Not wide, but I really like it --- Fast AF and sharp images --- I've had to recalibrate every flight since the 1st anyway to get the Z15 to stop spinning ---
Small price I guess ---

kuau

Hmm. I just saw that the new Sony A5100 is shipping and has even better performance then the A6000. it is similar in size to the 5n, but not exact. I wonder how hard it would be to mount this on the Z15N??
This camera to has a lot going for it small size, 1080P 60FP and 50Mbps XAVC S all fo under $600.00 yes no 4K, yet no $1600 price tag either.

Bigbangpro

Replacing hdmi cable

I had been using a Mini to Micro HDMI cable on the Z15N for my A6000, (Z15N comes with Mini for Sony Nex), but kept breaking the adapters.... so was looking for alternative.. decided to try the DJI BMPCC Micro HDMI cables and use it on the Z15, but was not sure it would work...

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji-zenmuse-bmpcc-hdmi-cable.html

Any advice on disconnecting mini and connecting micro cable ? My micro should arrive today, I have it apart, but I don't know how to proceed disconnecting the mini cable without breaking it --- thanks ---

Jumpy07

Its pretty easy.. just use your fingernails each side and pull the old one out.... press the new one in.. nothing hard about it..

kuau

I had a Nex 5N before and I can only comment on a comparison against that, its a major improvement, but I also changed my lens to a 19mm Sigma at the same time. I am now able to use AF which I couldn't before, results are also much more predictable, dynamic range is much better.. with 24mp and the new sensor it is far better for still images than most of my expensive Canon SLR's... stills are at 4k res.. Video is still only full HD though... but tbh is very good.. no over exposure which was always an issue on the 5N.

Good price for A6000 makes it a great upgrade for those with a Nex gimbal

Jumpy forgot to ask are you using the newer Sigma 19mm or the original one. The new one comes in black or silver and is smooth. The old one is black and more plastic

Timtim

I have the newer Sigma 19mm. A massive improvement over the Sony 16mm. Edge sharpness is the main advantage.

kuau

So the newer sigma will work also with the lens holder?
I am getting my Z15n this week and will be trying he new Sony A5100

Kilby

How does the Zen handle the shutter? From what I have read, the A5100 got rid of IR remote control. The camera looks great, but if that is the case it could be a deal breaker for a lot of folks that need that control in the air. Any ideas?

Kilby

And that is via IR trigger, correct? I'm wondering about the a5100. It looks like they got rid of the IR sensor in favor of controlling the app over wi-fi with a smartphone app. Good for most consumers, but not us MR pilots.

kuau

Yeah it looks like Sony wants you to buy there new USB remote commander so it's either all video or use the play memories app for Time Lapse Photo, for me this is ok,

When I want do video just start before takeoff or start the time lapse app for still I just hope it mounts ok on the Z15n

Kilby

Good to know. I think I'm going to opt for the a6000 with this in mind. I hate to be forced to land in order to switch between video & stills. Once you are in position, it's a real pain to not have control of that. The a5100 is lighter and has the added video codec that supports 50 mbps, but without control of the shutter it's going to impact our workflow something awful.

kuau

I here you. I may end up with an A6000 also, but I am going to try the A5100 first and I was reading that you get 4k frame grabs on the 5100