DJI F550 or Tarot FY680

xsnowb27

So I currently have a DJI F450 with Naza M v2 with GPS. I've got a decent amount of flight time now but now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I'm torn between multiple ideas. Started off with thinking maybe just upgrading from stock motors off my F450 but then started toying with the idea of a hexacopter now. So my thought now is, should I take my Naza and just transplant it into an F550 and replace stock motors with upgraded motors or should I move away from from the DJI frame and put my NAZA into the Tarot frame with upgraded motors as well?
Anyone have any experiences with the Tarot frames?
I figured if I transplant into a new frame my F450 will turn into my experiment quad.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Although more expensive, I think you'd probably appreciate having a 2nd quad since the first one is working, and they would be geared for different activities.

I have the 680pro which has the integrated PDB. I DEBATE WHETHER THIS WAS A GOOD MOVE, because it adds weight and ties your hands a little. But it also has improved folding mechanism - which for me eventually won out. It's a pretty decent frame for the money. A little frustrating to build - but what frame isn't? :) There are several build threads that have people hauling a decent payload (nothing ridiculous) for 20+ minutes.

I had had some issues with the component list not all working well with my superx FC, so I'm about to tear it down and put new ESCs on it. So I don't have a ton of real world data.

Keep in mind that unless you modify to make it a "hybrid" you will max out with 13" props. So it's not a super heavy lifter, but probably has a bit more stability and smoothness in the wind compared to the 15-18" prop machines. But of course payload will be less.

xsnowb27

Although more expensive, I think you'd probably appreciate having a 2nd quad since the first one is working, and they would be geared for different activities.

I have the 680pro which has the integrated PDB. I DEBATE WHETHER THIS WAS A GOOD MOVE, because it adds weight and ties your hands a little. But it also has improved folding mechanism - which for me eventually won out. It's a pretty decent frame for the money. A little frustrating to build - but what frame isn't? :) There are several build threads that have people hauling a decent payload (nothing ridiculous) for 20+ minutes.

I had had some issues with the component list not all working well with my superx FC, so I'm about to tear it down and put new ESCs on it. So I don't have a ton of real world data.

Keep in mind that unless you modify to make it a "hybrid" you will max out with 13" props. So it's not a super heavy lifter, but probably has a bit more stability and smoothness in the wind compared to the 15-18" prop machines. But of course payload will be less.

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out which one I would like. I'm not looking to do any crazy heavy lifting, mostly just a gimbal with a gopro on it.

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out which one I would like. I'm not looking to do any crazy heavy lifting, mostly just a gimbal with a gopro on it.

I would say it depends on what you want... honestly I think the best small filming platforms out there right now are quads with three axis gimbals on them. I would get you a zenmuse H3-3D on your 450... I get about 18 minutes of flight on mine with a 2D and still have juice to spare. I use 4S 4500 mah Turnigy nano-tech A Spec 65-85C batteries with the stock motors and 10 inch props.

In my personal opinion it doesn't make sense to run a "small" (quotes because that's a relative term) hex over a quad because of the flight times. If you are going to spend the money on a hex you should just go big or a 700-800 size quad with low KV motors. Those guys are reporting flight times of nearly an hour now!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
While I partially agree with Gadget about the quads, I also feel that there is stability and payload capability to be had with a hex. Given the right combo of parts - there are people getting 25 minutes flight time on the 680pro. This also allows you to lift heavier payloads while losing a bit of flight time. I like the idea of being able to hoist a slightly heavier load of I want to move to that.

If you plan on staying light - the quad may make the most sense.

xsnowb27

The reason why I'm thinking a hex is exactly what Idahobell states about it being less risky about losing a motor or ESC, I'm worried about losing a good chunk of money because of 50 dollars worth of parts failing on me. Currently I have myself an F450 with stock DJI motors, 9x4.5 APC props with a Turnigy Nano tech 5000 mah 4s. Landing gear, tarot t2d as well as a mini 860mah 3s battery on there to run the gimbal and video tx. I'm getting aprox 12 minutes flight time now, with this combo. Originally I thought about just upgrading the motors and putting bigger props on but now I'm slightly worried about losing a motor or ESC. Which brings me to this point, but now you're making me think twice about going to the hex. I do like the idea of possibly upgrading to a little larger gimbal and maybe a small DSLR which would be good for a hex.

Idahobell

Banned
I would like to build a Blackout Mini Hexacopter but I fly with the SuperX and I am not sure how well it would fit in the frame.

nuclear

I would like to build a Blackout Mini Hexacopter but I fly with the SuperX and I am not sure how well it would fit in the frame.
i don't have the superx to compare but i was able to install a Naza v2 with the gps inside the blackout mini spider hex
it was a bit cramped
inside the main area was:
pmu with naza stuck on top of pmu
immersion 600mw video transmitter
camera
on top of the top carbon plate was the frsky x8r receiver
on each arm were the esc (i don't have the pdu version)

Idahobell

Banned
I have seen video/photos of people converting the Tarot 680/690 to a Y6 format but not sure why. My understanding is that the Y6 is less efficient than a hexacopter with both having 6 motors.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think something to keep in mind is that not every flight controller will handle the scenario of a lost motor in the same way. So just because you have a hex doesn't guarantee that it will be able to stay afloat with a downed motor. I've seen both good and bad stories with this configuration, and it seems to be the FC that is the variable.

xsnowb27

I think something to keep in mind is that not every flight controller will handle the scenario of a lost motor in the same way. So just because you have a hex doesn't guarantee that it will be able to stay afloat with a downed motor. I've seen both good and bad stories with this configuration, and it seems to be the FC that is the variable.

I have a Naza V2 which claims it's able to support a lost motor. Redundancy redundancy redundancy is the key word here for me. For my every day job I've been taught over and over again that redundancy matters because it's not an if but it's a when it will fail that you have the backups. I figure I will have the 450 for my practice toy and rebuild it to something different and have a hex for the more expensive stuff.