DJI F550 General

Raptor4184

I have a couple questions, hoping to get 550 and 450 owners together for discussion old and new.

My question is can I just replace my RX and TX from Futaba to spectrum and be good to go once linked up? Any trimming or calibrations needed? My futaba either went out or I messed something up so might as well switch. Second question, what's the most cost effective spectrum tx and RX I can buy I need 8 ch for my gimbal, preferably 2 vr knobs. What kind of range can I expect. Thanks

One last thing, which things should I not unplug if I can help it(iosd, naza, RX, gcu, etc) can I unplug the engines and be ok? Does the order of the black plugs matter (the 3, see video) I want to swap out my arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The short answer is yes you can switch, but... you will have to setup and configure your spectrum so it works properly. I had a spectrum and switched to a taranis. I never really got comfortable and had a crystal clear understanding of my spectrum. I got it to work perfectly by following you tube videos but I needed those videos. The good news is there are plenty of them to show you how to do what you want. The main thing is to get the GPS/ATTI/Man switch and the course lock/home lock switches working correctly. You will also have to hook the naza up to the naza assistant software to configure everything so download that if you haven't already. You can unplug anything you want but if you are unsure mark it with tape or take pictures etc. The 3 wires coming from the ESC going to the motor matter as far as rotation goes. if your motor is spinning in the wrong direction just swap any 2 of the 3 wires and it will reverse the direction. The plugs going from the flight controller to the ESC matter as well. You should be able to find the proper arrangement on the DJI site or download the manual for your flight controller if you haven't already. You could also make a strong case for just figuring out what's wrong with your futaba and fixing it. Futaba is a good radio unless its outdated cause its 10 years old or something. I would consider taking it to a hobby shop and asking them or starting with the bind procedure and seeing if for some reason you may have lost your bind. If it was working and now its not then something must have happened so its a matter of figuring it out and correcting it which is easier then configuring an entirely new transmitter.

Alwil

I think you will find changing your radio and receiver from one brand to another- your problem
may follow. Are you 100% sure you have a defective radio or receiver? It is pretty hard to damage
the radio/ receiver by pushing some wrong buttons. Have they been dropped or modified in any
way? And yes- there is an order in the way the plugs are hooked up. Do you have the NAZA
assistant software and read up on it? There is something we don't know. Your first post stated
you were messing around with the 550- What were you doing exactly?

Last edited: