[Check My Build/Review My Parts] ~€300 Beginner Quadcopter

Pegaseus

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buying and building my first quadcopter. I have experience in building RC cars and building/coding robots.

This quad will serve the following purposes:
  1. Learning to fly a quad (I have experience flying RC helicopters but I've never flown a quad)
  2. Upgrade said quad later on to possibly a hexacopter to carry heavier loads
  3. I would like to code my own flight controller software once I get the flying part nailed down. Together with this I'd implement GPS for flight paths and such. I know these things are all available for purchase but I like to code and it seems like a fun project.
I don't know if there are flight controllers available that you can connect to your pc and just write your code on. But if there are please let me know. This certainly isn't a requirement for the basic quad(parts) I'm wanting to buy/build. The most important is learning to fly a quad and having fun with it.

If I want to custom code a flight controller in the future I could always replace the current flight controller with an arduino and use that as a flight controller if I hook up the right censors.

Enough about my goal/purposes with the quad, in the following spreadsheet I've collected the parts I think I would need in order to build my quad.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEEWYKmVkLSOi-jOXUxwY3Ng8yC284qYO9UFQndpCLg/edit?usp=sharing

Please post all the tips, remarks, comments, questions, ... you have below.

Thank you for reading (and replying),
Pegaseus

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have no budget limitations, the €300 is just a estimate at how much I think spending on a first quad is worth. But as I'm sure I forgot some parts I'm not worried to go over that limit.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey there. Welcome aboard.

Seems like you're off to a good start with your list. Plenty of options as you've seen. I Have not used all of the options you're choosing - but I would suggest looking into some better props (perhaps locally?). Companies like APC and HQProps make some good, yet inexpensive props that are not the cheaper plastic type. You'll have peace of mind knowing that the props are solid (as I'm sure you know from your Heli days).

Also, the battery charger you list works fine, but is slow. It will definitely be slow for any larger capacity batteries. Unless they've changed it, it should have a built in power supply. So you shouldn't need the an additional power source of you go that route. If you think you'll be sticking with it - there are other chargers that will make busy work of even larger batteries, but will need a decent external power supply.

If you are into coding the FC, multiwii seems like a good choice. While there are pre-written sketches, you are always welcome to tweak to your hearts content.

There is a guy here in the states who sells his own hardware version of multiwii which is populated by high quality components. He sells under the name Ready to Fly Quads.

Good luck and fly safe. And of course, pics when you get it built!