Can't get out of vertical compass calibration

burton720

Going through compass calibration for the first time. I get it to go from orange/yellow to green when holding the copter horizontally and spinning 360 degrees but when I go to the next step and hold it vertically while spinning 360, all I get is getting dizzy, the green light won't turn off.

On a side note, does the PMU have to facing a certain direction like the gps? Only ask because there are a few arrows on it.

jinly

Going through compass calibration for the first time. I get it to go from orange/yellow to green when holding the copter horizontally and spinning 360 degrees but when I go to the next step and hold it vertically while spinning 360, all I get is getting dizzy, the green light won't turn off.

On a side note, does the PMU have to facing a certain direction like the gps? Only ask because there are a few arrows on it.

the pmu does NOT have to be facing forward. It can be arranged in any direction. Do you have a cellphone near the GPS Compass or on you when you are calibrating? Magnets screw up the calibration. You can take a magnet and on your GPS Puck. Run the magnet across the puck any also up and down passed it. Then try to calibrate it. Make sure you don't have any cellphones or magnets near the craft.

burton720

I tried that and nothing worked. Plus I'm pretty confident it's not an outside source as I have a 450 with a Naza lite and that calibrates just fine. This was my first build (I bought the 450 already assembled) and I may have gotten over ambitious as I installed a btu, h3 3d with gcu, iosd mini and 2.4ghz data link. Most of them plugged in to a CAN HUB. Could 1 of those things be the culprit?

jinly

I tried that and nothing worked. Plus I'm pretty confident it's not an outside source as I have a 450 with a Naza lite and that calibrates just fine. This was my first build (I bought the 450 already assembled) and I may have gotten over ambitious as I installed a btu, h3 3d with gcu, iosd mini and 2.4ghz data link. Most of them plugged in to a CAN HUB. Could 1 of those things be the culprit?

Is The GPS puck pointed forward...and did you put the right xyz axis on the assistant? If your puck is on a stick then it's a negative number in cm. If it's in the back of the craft it's a negative number also. You probably know all of that. For some reason the FC won't recognize one of the axis.. I have all the DJI peripherals you have and never had an issue.

burton720

I'll double check the axis values. Thought I got them right

Is The GPS puck pointed forward...and did you put the right xyz axis on the assistant? If your puck is on a stick then it's a negative number in cm. If it's in the back of the craft it's a negative number also. You probably know all of that. For some reason the FC won't recognize one of the axis.. I have all the DJI peripherals you have and never had an issue.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hmmm, are you calibrating correctly?

I guess you are since you've been doing it successfully with the Naza Lite but worth checking your procedure.

Enter calibration mode by flipping the mode switch (something like 7 times). Do horizontal calibration with nose facing away from you. Light changes colour after one rotation. Then point nose down and spin again one rotation until light changes colour.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you were doing something different. One chap was doing the horizontal bit then flipping the switch again.

Let us know how you get on. ;)

burton720

Ok so it's either the mcu or the firmware. I bought 3 Naza m V2. 2 on ebay and 1 on craigslist. And I've never built a multirotor before, so yes I know I have a sickness. Anyways, the first one I installed and upgraded the firmware right away and did the set up. That's the one I couldn't get to work. Today I finally got fed up and replaced the MCU iteself and did the setup but did NOT upgrade the firmware. That one calibrated right away. So I'm thinking it's either a defective mcu or firmware. I believe I started with version 4.02 and upgraded to the current 4.06(?).

So 2 questions?

1. Is there anyway I can revert back to an older firmware?

2. Reset the MCU entirely?

burton720

Well I reinstalled the old MCU with the calibration problem and did a hard reset. Unfortunately you can only reset it to the current version. And it still won't calibrate. I'll give DJI a try and see if they're any help.

jinly

Well I reinstalled the old MCU with the calibration problem and did a hard reset. Unfortunately you can only reset it to the current version. And it still won't calibrate. I'll give DJI a try and see if they're any help.

yes..it does look like you have a "bad" Naza M V2.

burton720

Yah it definitely is the MCU itself. I upgraded the firmware on the 2nd mcu and it calibrates just fine.

Tried emailing DJI but still no response. I'll try calling their Los Angeles branch today. Ironic thing is I could probably drive there but on the website it says no walk-ins for this location.

jinly

DJI
Yah it definitely is the MCU itself. I upgraded the firmware on the 2nd mcu and it calibrates just fine.

Tried emailing DJI but still no response. I'll try calling their Los Angeles branch today. Ironic thing is I could probably drive there but on the website it says no walk-ins for this location.

I read that also! ha ha like they don't want any returns or complaints. I really like their products, however, I've had some bad experiences with their "slow" responses also.

burton720

Jinly, since you said you have the h3 3d gimbal as well do you mind sharing your procedure on the getting the right settings. It Servo travel limite, and automatic control gain. I have the gcu and top plate of the gimbal mounted but not plugged in yet. Anything I should know about?

jinly

Jinly, since you said you have the h3 3d gimbal as well do you mind sharing your procedure on the getting the right settings. It Servo travel limite, and automatic control gain. I have the gcu and top plate of the gimbal mounted but not plugged in yet. Anything I should know about?

Actually I have the Tarot 2d 2 axis gimbal...sorry..uses the F2 input, but now I turned my Quad copter into a X8 Octocopter so F1 and F2 are now M7 and M8 motors. Now I have pitch control from Channel 8 of my receiver. The Gimbal has it's own Control board. So Now the Naza doesn't control my Gimbal any more