XAircraft Calibration AHRS-S

Need some help. I'm new to the multicopters and have just recently build and flown the x650 V8. I need help with calibrating the AHRS. Some threads discuss placing the actual AHRS on a flat and level surface and then calibrate others explain placing a piece of glass on the rotor and then calibrate. The latter seems the better answer. Some explanation of how to calibrate the AHRS will help.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just stick it as level as you can on top of your 1212. Then level out the whole heli as best you can. I used playing cards. then hit calibrate and voila, you are done!

I would take it that should you get the tops of the props perfectly level and then press calibrate the AHRS will calibrate the attitude as level - the AHRS is build into the body of the drone and it is impossible to measure that small little square as level.

To do this I was considering balancing the drone on the bottom props - I used four glasses with coasters. The drone standing on it's flimsy legs will be difficult to keep level. I would then level the drone by placing playing cards on the coasters until the top of the props were perfectly level. A piece of glass placed on top of the four props will make that easy to measure - once level then calibrate . Any comments

Bowley

I take the skids off and rest it on a level floor on the bottom prop nuts, If you have trouble with the AHRS maintaining calibration then use update firmware option in XA Centre. that was my experience anyway.

Well I have calibrated the AHRS - leveling the top prop nuts by placing a piece af glass on top of the drone and and with playing cards shimming the drone level wrt to the prop nuts of the top props. Now the drone drifts heavily to the left. Will this thing ever stand still ? Can you trim the drone on the DX8? how often do you need to recalibrate the AHRS ? The v8 drifted less without the camera mount cm130

Bowley

Connect XA centre and check your pitch and roll figures, are they zero..ish? If not recalibrate it and watch your pitch and roll figures, do they hover around 0?
Mine used to steadily increase until I updated the firmware.

My pitch and roll figures float around 0 and 0.2 or -0.2. The copter drifts to the left and seems that pushing trims on my receiver does not make ANY difference ... I'm flying in hover mode. Why does the trims on the radio not level the copter out ? The drone is new and would imagine the firmware is up to date on the disk included in the box. Which is the latest version for the FC1212 and the AHRS

Kilby

I wouldn't assume that the firmware is up to date just because the kit is new to you. It may have rolled off the manufacturing line months ago when older firmware was out.

Weight will make a difference on the V8. Mine actually leveled out more when I added weight. I guess that was jut luck though.

Make sure you have the craft as balanced as possible. My problem was that it had the cg pushed out of center. Rearranging where I had some of my components made all the difference in my case.

I will most certainly try getting the balance better. The drone weighs in all with battery and gimble and camera at 1800 g I'm flying a 2200 ma, limiting my flight time to 4 minutes . I fly rc helies and the drone is for pics only. Maybe on the light side ? . Why does the trims on my radio not sort the drift out ? It works well on the helies hahah .......

The firmware for the controller is FC1212-S 1.33_CN.xfw and AHRS-S1.23_cn.xfw included on the disk. The latest version on the net is 1.31 for the controller and 1.2 for the AHRS . How's is this possible. .??

Bowley

Are you motors all plumb, it is possible to have them slightly off vertical this could explain your left drift, worth a mention and a check. Mine were ever so slightly off plumb after the initial build. I know it does make a hell off a difference, I had one boom skew whiff on my Gaui so the motor wasn't plum and the prop not level and it would yaw and roll strongly. I just changed the Boom and it flew perfectly again as my old battered Gaui 330 always does.