Build Comparison, newbie

birdmanmt

Hi guys,

I'm looking at building my own quad or hex copter to use for training falcons. Minimal payload but want flight times out to 35-40 minutes if possible. Return to home is very important for what I plan to do, seems that's in all the flight controllers. I have been reading here and other places a while, just looking for some feedback on the two options i've narrowed down to and anything I might be missing. I have 25 year background in R/C airplanes, sport flying and racing and the last 5 years or so doing heli's. Still a lot to digest to figure this out! Have spektrum dx8 and several 6 channel receivers floating around in addition to some 6s packs and a good charger.

Option 1: (my first pick)
Tarot Ironman 650 Frame
Turnigy Multistar 4822-390Kv
Tz40A - HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless ESC
Tarot ZYX-M Multi rotor flight control
14x5 carbon props (not sure that's the ideal size?)

Option 2:
HobbyKing S550 Hexcopter Combo (Frame, ESC's and Motors) (ARF)
1 x S550 Hexcopter frame
6 x 2-6s 30 Amp BL Heli ESC's
6 x EMAX MT2216-810KV brushless motors
1 x 10x4.5 CW/CCW propeller set
Tarot ZYX-M Multi Rotor flight control

In either case, i'd be going go for the biggest MAH battery I can before weight becomes a negative to flight time. I was considering running option 1 at 6s as I have some batteries from my 500 heli I could use. I like the hexacopter because it has redundancy in case of failure and more payload if i choose to do other things with it. Plus that HK combo is cheap to get started!

I've also researched the eagle tree flight controller as I have someone local who can help with setup of that unit, but it's hard to ignore the price of the Tarot unit. I also realize the commonality of the NAZA units.

So any input for me? If there's anything else to consider, i'm all ears. Hoping to keep it at $500 or less, but tell me if that's not realistic.

Thanks much in advance for the help.
-Jeff

violetwolf

Generally for longer flight times you want to run large props (18 to 24" or more) and large diameter slow turning motors on a quad. The trade off then becomes a more "floaty" machine.

30 mins is probably near the upper limit right now. But others know more about this than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would agree on that 30 minute time. Even that's tough if you want a camera/gimbal, FPV etc. I have Tarot 680 hex that weighs 3 kg AUW and I get around 10 min on a 5000 mah batt with 13" props. The 10" props on your option#2 is probably a no go.