Best compact/folding frame?

I love my F550, but it's just so unwieldy to transport for a go pro system, so I was looking to repurpose most of the parts into a more portable frame with similar or better performance. I suppose I don't need hex, I'm considering quad, or even Y6/X8 options. I like the idea of a lower profile with the gimbal up front (I have an H3-3d that is stellar, and I'd love to keep using) so I've been looking at something like the Aimdroix frame (I already use the great arms on my modded F550): http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_492&products_id=3457

But it doesn't fold. I also hear great things about TBS disco frames too, but same issue. Ideally I want to pack the whole thing in a large backpack... Are there good options for this that people trust?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are looking for a frame similar to the one you linked - I'd recommend taking a look at the CineTank. There is a review of V1 (V2 has some improvements) in the review section.

Very cool build, similar in price to your other options and I have gotten great video with no gimbal - so the gimbal will take to that next level.

However, it also does not fold. But I've been able to put it on the front set of my car. So easy to transport.

For foldable, I think you'd need to stick to the traditional shape, or keep an eye out here for a forthcoming review of a pretty unique frame called the TTRobotix super hornet.

Take a look at this: http://www.multirotorforums.com/threads/new-540-class-folding-quad-frame.24119/#post-199318

This is by a long time member of the MR world and is well thought out.

futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-34.jpg

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I can vouch for this guy. He has been working on perfecting this frame for years. He's also a very trustworthy guy and super friendly. It would be great to see members supporting members rather than sending all your cash direct to China. Anyways, just thought I would throw in a good word for him.

Mactadpole

I can vouch for this guy. He has been working on perfecting this frame for years. He's also a very trustworthy guy and super friendly. It would be great to see members supporting members rather than sending all your cash direct to China. Anyways, just thought I would throw in a good word for him.
Thanks for chiming in. Couldn't agree more with you statements. I guess the OP isn't interested in this option I posted since he's posting childish cartoon's in response.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This really does look like an interesting choice.

And +1 for supporting members, as well as USA businesses where appropriate. The CineTank is made here in the states too, and it was nice to help a fledgling domestic business get off the ground with a solid product.

Thanks for chiming in. Couldn't agree more with you statements. I guess the OP isn't interested in this option I posted since he's posting childish cartoon's in response.

The childish cartoon was intended to express my interest in purchasing the mentioned system in a humorous way. I'll certainly be reaching out to Paul about this frame as I get closer to making purchasing decisions. I'm deeply sorry for sullying the elevated mature adult discourse. :p

Mactadpole

The childish cartoon was intended to express my interest in purchasing the mentioned system in a humorous way. I'll certainly be reaching out to Paul about this frame as I get closer to making purchasing decisions. I'm deeply sorry for sullying the elevated mature adult discourse. :p
My bad completely!!! I misinterpreted the cartoon. Oh the joys of internet conversation. My apologies. Please do a build log for us if you don't mind.

Now that I have seen the photos I am thinking I will sometime soon (but after taxes) have to do one of these too.

Please, no hard feelings. :oops:

My bad completely!!! I misinterpreted the cartoon. Oh the joys of internet conversation. My apologies. Please do a build log for us if you don't mind.

Now that I have seen the photos I am thinking I will sometime soon (but after taxes) have to do one of these too.

Please, no hard feelings. :oops:

I'm afraid it's too late for apologies, you have made a powerful internet enemy today!

Or not. ;)

But yes, doing a build log could be in the cards if I go in this direction. To throw another question out there - with a small(ish) quad like this, I think I'm really looking for speed and agility (to compliment a larger, more sluggish heavy camera lifter) - What kind of motor/prop combos do people look for to attain this? High kv, small props?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
On the CineTank I reviewed I took their advice and threw on sunnysky 1250kv motors with 8 & 9" props. That thing zipped around faster than I'd ever need it :). And it was fairly heavy at the time.

I ended up going with slightly longer booms opening up the prop size, then grabbed some lower mc motors. It's more tame now which is more my style.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
That Simpsons cartoon is frequently used on the internet as a way of saying "I don't need more promotion babble. I want to by this thing now!"