AV130 endpoint question

tombrown1

Hi all. I have a hex with WKM, AV130 with 360 pan kit, and two Devo 10 radios - one for flying, one for video.

My question is if there is a way to make it so that the AV130 only turns a finite amount. Right now it is set up on the rudder control and if I give it rudder right for example, it will turn clockwise until it pulls all the cords out. I have also tried setting up the camera pan to the Aux 4 knob and it still doesn't have an endpoint.

The tilt on the camera does have an endpoint - and I use aux 5 to control that.

Ultimately I would like the AV130 to stop turning about 120 degrees left or right of center.

I have tried reducing the travel adjust in the Devo 10 settings - but this only slows the turning - doesn't actually set an endpoint.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

Tom

To get the 120 + and - travel you could add a potentiometer to the pan axis but this is leading to a limitative use of the gimbal.
Normally, when you use a 360° gimbal, there are no cables to pull because very simply there is nothing that needs to be connected between motor frame and gimbal. Two radios, two batteries, tx video is on the gimbal exactly like (if present) the gimbal board.
Can you explain which connections are being pulled?

What a nice frame you have there, i'd ask a thousand questions about it but let's stay on topic:
If you use the wkm nick and roll servo stabilization outputs you'll get wrong axis compensation as soon as you turn the gimbal, maximum misalignment is when the gimbal is rotated 90° in relation to the wkm board.
That is why whenever there is a 360° gimbal there is the necessity to use a second dedicated compensation management board: it is mounted on the gimbal, rotates with it and is always correcting the right axis.
As you already use two radios there is little left to move onto total gimbal autonomy: move the second receiver (and video link tx) to the gimbal, add a small second battery and a dedicated board to have gimbal tilt and roll compensation and you're done.
Talking about gimbal management boards there are many choices: multiwii (possibily the cheapest solution), Picloc, RSGS Skyline, Hoverfly, Radian...well...not so many choices actually.
If instead you prefer to use the +- 120° turn solution you will have to sort a way to put a potentiometer on the pan axis, maybe you can replicate the gimbal roll potentiometer solution on the pan gear, a little bit of studying should get the things sorted but...in this case, because of the axis swapping, it is better to leave the gimbal compensation out: it will cause more trouble than pleasure as soon as you turn the gimbal away from the wkm board front direction.
C

tombrown1

Thanks for the reply. Things are clearing up quickly. I did notice the wrong stabilization on the gimbal when turning it 90 degrees.

This hex was made by Tony at rc-drones.com. He did a great job and was very helpful in getting me set up. This was the first AV130/360 he has done.

I will grab a gimbal board asap and get started in setting my gimbal free!

I will certainly pound the forums now in search of a good board, but do you have any personal recommendation? I understand the Skyline was built for the AV130/AV200, so that seems like a logical choice.

Thanks again.

TB

I believe you are going to be happy whatever board you choose between Picloc, rsgs and hoverfly or, if budget doesn't allows it: you can get very good footage also with a cheap multiwii Crius SE programmed as gimbal controller. My opinion, based on using mwii, picloc and rsgs is that right now the skyline is the best solution: behaves very well and, most important in a relatively small gimbal like the 130: the board fits nicely and stays out of the way without occupying precious camera/videotx/second battery or receiver space.
Happy flying!
CZ