Assistance configuring a Futaba FF7 for use with an F550 & Naza V2 GPS

Fatlab

I'm about to start building a F550/Naza 2 GPS based unit and I'm planning to repurpose an old 35mHz Futaba FF7 (FP-7UPS) transmitter by swapping out the TX for an FRsky DFT. In its day the FF7 was great for helis and it has 4 modes for Acro/Gliders/Heli1/Heli2. What I can't work out is how to configure it for use with the Naza, specifically how to control the manual/atti/GPS switching, IOC switching and also to be able to trigger failsafe without resorting to switching the TX off.

Switch wise, the unit has the following switch gear which varies depending on the primary mode;

2 way - P Mix (CH 5/INV)
2 way - Gear CH5 (Throttle Hold)
2 way - Elevator dual rate
2 way - Rudder dual rate
2 way - Aileron dual rate
2 way - Snap Roll (plus up/down, left/right switching)
3 way - Mix (Idle Up, 2>6)
Variable knob - CH 6 Flap Trim (Hover Pitch)
Variable knob - CH 7 Hover Throttle

I know the manual recommends Aircraft mode for the newer radios but this one isn't able to dynamically reassign channels to the various switches. I can see how I can use Channel 5 as an on/off control and I can also see how I can use Channel 6 & 7 via the variable pots potentially assigned to X1 and X2 but I would ideally like to be able to use the three way switch to control to switch between manual/atti/gps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

AEA737

Hello Dave.

I use a T7C (2.4Ghz) to control my F450 with Naza V2 GPS. I use the upper left 3 way switch to control GPS/ATTI/FS. I never fly in Manual, but if I need to switch to Manual (to calibrate GPS) I just reset the endpoints of that channel with the value I have on a note on my smartphone. Just remember to set it back again to FS after calibration. I use CH7 for this.

For IOC I use switch B as OFF/Home Lock. I don´t think I´ll use Course Lock anyway. Home Lock is good enough for me.

Javier

Fatlab

Javier,

I think I have found a way forwards which involves setting the transmitter into Heli1 mode. Channels 1-4 are used as normal and I connected channel 6 which is used for hell pitch control to the 'U' connection. I have configured the three way switch for the throttle/pitch curve. For Normal, 1 and 2 I have set the throttle curve for each as a linear 0,25,50,75,100 setting, I then set the pitch curves as 20,20,20,20,20 for Normal position which sets GPS mode. Setting position 1 to 50,50,50,50,50 for Atti mode and finally position 2 to 80,80,80,80,80 for manual mode. I then set the Throttle Hold switch setting to 70,70,70,70,70 for the pitch curve and throttle of 50% which maps to the Failsafe setting.

I'm still working on how to control the IOC mode but may be able to do that with one of the variable knobs and use 10,50,90 for the three settings.

Dave