MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Arducopter hexa

u4eake

Latest video of testing autonomous flight (and other flightmodes)

Cause I liked the way a hexacopter looks (and everyone already has a quad) I wanted to build me an autonomous flying hexa. I started thinking about it and researching beginning of 2010 and about end of march I decided to go ahead with the project and order some stuff.

I decided to use the ardupilot brain from DIYdrones, an open source project. At the time Mikrocopter and arducopter were about the only ones offering autonomous flight with waypoints. Mikrocopter was very expensive and limited in its autonomy by software and licensing restrictions. Arducopter was much cheaper and open source. Since I'm no millionair and I do know a bit about programming, the choise for ardupilot was made.

BTW ardupilot is the name of the hardware. In that hardware you can put arducopter software, arduplane software, ardurover (cars) software and even boats are in the works.

You can buy it ready soldered, but I wanted to solder the pins on myself :

brain.jpg

Motors, esc's and battery are from hobbyking :

motors : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=4700
esc's : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6458
battery : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=9184

I decided to design and build the frame myself since existing frames were not all to cheap and I have access to machines at work.
The arms are made from 15x15x1.5 aluminium square tube with holes drilled in them to save weight :

hexarms4.jpg

From work I could get some leftovers from the composites department. A little bit special as it is a natural fiber composite. Lighter then carbonfiber or glassfiber, but not so strong. But also non conductive (no blocking of 2.4Ghz signals).
I designed the parts in autocad and had them cut out on a waterjet.

frame.jpg

Composite parts are 2mm thick and together they weigh 170g. A complete aluminium arm, with motor, esc and prop attached weighs 140g. So I estimate that with a 5000mAh 3S lipo of 410g I'll end up with a total flying weight of about 1600-1700g.

Thrust of the motors with 10x4.5 prop is about 900g. So I should get about 900x6x0.8 = 4.3kg of total lift force. Leaves me enough room to carry around a camera. This was my initial calculation.
Now, after adding 5.8Ghz video downlink, 433Mhz telemetry downlink, a led lightshow and a kodak ZX-1 camera I end up at 1960g ready for take-off.

I made the frame foldable for easy transport. But in reality I have never used this possibility yet.

framefold2.jpg

Vibration dampening is extremely important with multicopters. That's why I mounted a piece of rubber between arms and centerplate.

centerfold.jpg

Powerdistribution was a serious challenge to my soldering skills.

powerdist.jpg

Here's the frame build togehter with motors and esc's :

hexa-10u.jpg

hexa-9u.jpg

And here he is flying :) :

hexastudenten.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Nice, I really like my AC boards as they suit my heavy lift machines due to the wide PID parameters. I can't wait to see what Jason comes up with in 2.0.50 It is a much cheaper alternative that DJI but not for beginners who are not into electronics.

viawave77

Hey congratulation!! very impressive, and all do it your self, pretty good skills you have!, do you expirience any uncontrol behavior, of you hexa in mid air?, I am a xaircraft X650 v8 pilot, and had this terrible expirience twice, that ends in crash both of them, so I need to migrate , and thinking a lot to go with arducopter electronics, is this Flight Control stable?.
By the way, can you give us the dimension that you use in your frame? about the arms length, and dimension of the centerplate as well of you landing ski.
viawave77@gmail.com

thanks

u4eake

Hi, thx for comments !
No I have never experienced uncontollable behaviour of my hexa, unless it was my own fault (wrong switch or wrong flightmode). All my crashes (3 in 1 year) were my own fault, mostly because I didn't fully understand how to operate the copter.
But flight control is not "stable" meaning the software is not finished and being updated all the time. If you like experimenting and fully understanding your copter, and you know a little about computers, programming or elektronics, then the arducopter is GREAT fun. You really gain insight in autonomous copter flight and it flies pretty good (stable) and has LOTS of possibilities.
If you just want to fly and want copter to work, without understanding, you better get a KK or other cheap all-in-one board.

It's like driving a car. Girls know that if you press right pedal, car accelerates, if you press left pedal, car stops. (KK) Men know that when pressing the right pedal, throttle valve opens and lets more air-fuel mixture into the cylinders, resulting in a more powerful combustion and more power to the wheels. They know if you press the left pedal, 2 brake pads will clamp on a brake disk and the friction will slow the car down. (arducopter)