MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 apm 2.6 or the Naza v2 with gps

boceifo

Which one should I get? I love the arduino format and open source of it. Is it that hard to set up? Difficult to get flying? The Naza is just about RTF out of the box. But to fly waypoints and such, it is another couple modules to put on the quad, and that equals a little bit more weight. I am on the fence on this one and need to make a decision soon.

mdntblu

I knew nothing about any of these flight controllers and a guy told me to get the APM 2.6. I bought a china clone one with GPS and it worked ok but kept having glitches and causing crashes. So then I decided to just bite the bullet and get the genuine 3DRobotics one with the GPS and have flown multitudes of batteries with zero crashes or glitches caused by the APM. I've had crashes cause by me with hardware and piloting but it wasn't a direct cause from the APM.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the only obstacle for the APM 2.6 might be if you have an oktokopter and you're trying to do waypoint flights and such. the processor may become overburdened and glitch. our resident expert can explain it better if he passes through this thread.

NAZA might not be much better on an Okto flying waypoints, it's not exactly a processing powerhouse.

dazzab

If you want a pure RTF experience fly the NAZA. If you want "damn close to RTF but might have to figure a thing or two out" and heaps more features at a great price, then you can't go past the Pixhawk. Notice I said Pixhawk, not APM. Nothing wrong with the APM at all but for future proofing I'd pay the small difference to have the Pixhawk. It has much more processing power and more memory. New features and enhancements may or may not make it in to the APM simply because it's at capacity.

Having said this. I fly Pixhawk on two quads and in the near future two planes. On my hexa I've gone to SuperX as I just couldn't get it smooth enough with the Pixhawk. On my octo I totally gave up on the Pixhawk and went down the evil commercial closed path of the Wookong. Lot's of choices for different needs and situations. As always, YMMV.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

poohbear

If you want a pure RTF experience fly the NAZA. If you want "damn close to RTF but might have to figure a thing or two out" and heaps more features at a great price, then you can't go past the Pixhawk. Notice I said Pixhawk, not APM. Nothing wrong with the APM at all but for future proofing I'd pay the small difference to have the Pixhawk. It has much more processing power and more memory. New features and enhancements may or may not make it in to the APM simply because it's at capacity.

Having said this. I fly Pixhawk on two quads and in the near future two planes. On my hexa I've gone to SuperX as I just couldn't get it smooth enough with the Pixhawk. On my octo I totally gave up on the Pixhawk and went down the evil commercial closed path of the Wookong. Lot's of choices for different needs and situations. As always, YMMV.

Cheers.

I was amost sold on the APM until I read this... I would like to run a "follow me" mode; it does not appear that the pixhawk can perform this?