MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Anyone using APM 2.5 for aerial filming?

Kilby

How is the hardware version right now? Are they planning any new releases anytime soon? I'd hate to buy the current version and then find out that a new one is only a month out.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
With 3.0? Yeah, there was some of that. And still could be. Fact is, if the GPS constellation goes for a crap, and the GPS position estimate goes wandering off... there's not much we can do. It's going to follow. Any system will. However, I know that they did some improvements during the Beta phase of 3.0 that tried to limit that.

I had a few hits myself early on, but haven't had any lately. Actually, that's not true. Last night while I was testing auto landings, 1 out of my ~10 attempts, it was drifting sideways as it touched down. Just slowly. That would have to have been a gps glitch.

I think it won't be too long until we have the Optical Flow sensor working in concert with the INAV and GPS. That will give us some ground-truth that will help when at low altitudes. Should solve the problem almost completely. You'll still have GPS position errors, the best you can expect is ~3m accuracy in absolute position. But you won't get any short term drifting.

But I don't think that will happen on APM2. PX4 only. The APM2 is now running flat out. It's completely redlined, all the processor resources are used up. In fact, I found out a couple weeks ago that the for TradHeli, we don't even have any more program space. I had to make it not-compile-in the OpFlow code to make room.

Kilby

With 3.0? Yeah, there was some of that. And still could be. Fact is, if the GPS constellation goes for a crap, and the GPS position estimate goes wandering off... there's not much we can do. It's going to follow. Any system will. However, I know that they did some improvements during the Beta phase of 3.0 that tried to limit that.

I had a few hits myself early on, but haven't had any lately. Actually, that's not true. Last night while I was testing auto landings, 1 out of my ~10 attempts, it was drifting sideways as it touched down. Just slowly. That would have to have been a gps glitch.

I think it won't be too long until we have the Optical Flow sensor working in concert with the INAV and GPS. That will give us some ground-truth that will help when at low altitudes. Should solve the problem almost completely. You'll still have GPS position errors, the best you can expect is ~3m accuracy in absolute position. But you won't get any short term drifting.

But I don't think that will happen on APM2. PX4 only. The APM2 is now running flat out. It's completely redlined, all the processor resources are used up. In fact, I found out a couple weeks ago that the for TradHeli, we don't even have any more program space. I had to make it not-compile-in the OpFlow code to make room.

Awesome, thanks for all the info! I'm looking forward trying it out.