Anyone Upgrade From Quad to Hex and Transferring the Parts?

boba7523

Hi there,

I'm looking to build my first quad and ultimately a hex later on. I'd like to know if anyone went from building a quad and then later on transferring the parts to their hex or even octo? Just wanted to know how feasible that idea would be.

I know weight of the new hex/octo would be the biggest factor in reusing the parts from the old quad.

Thanks guys!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Not sure it would actually be an "upgrade" but similar sized MR's use similar gear so say going from a 450 quad to a 550 hex a lot of parts would be usable.

Pete

Bluerex

Hehe I went full circle. DJI 450 quad > DJI 550 hex > TBS Disco Pro quad.
ESCs, receiver and the Naza are about the only original things left on the Disco now but all motors, Naza, ESCs, LEDS and receiver made the round trip initially. And you are right, the DJI opto ESCs are a bit too small (30A) for an Octo or at least for the motors you would WANT to run on an Octo.

C

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Depends on the octo, one of my sons built a lightweight octo with 8 inch props and 18A ESC's.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
And can show if we catch up somewhere around sunny Canberra, where do you fly?.

Pete

Hi there,

I'm looking to build my first quad and ultimately a hex later on. I'd like to know if anyone went from building a quad and then later on transferring the parts to their hex or even octo? Just wanted to know how feasible that idea would be.

I know weight of the new hex/octo would be the biggest factor in reusing the parts from the old quad.

Thanks guys!
Sure. DJI F450 to a550. Add two arms, two motors, 2 ESCs, some water, stir and bring to gentle boil. Oh, wait, got my forums mixed up.

Then added fpv gear and gimbal for the GoPro, and DJI iOSD mini. I had already switched motors to SunnySky 5508-16 700 kv and the arms to Aimdroix extended length. So now it's a 650.

Bluerex

And can show if we catch up somewhere around sunny Canberra, where do you fly?.

Pete
I've met you out at the Charney oval. :) Mostly though I fly away from people and houses.
But was that you flying FPV at the arboretum this morning ?

c