Anyone else a single rotor pilot ?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I know there are more single rotor pilots here than just me, I'd be interested to hear what others think of the difference between flying an RC heli and a multirotor. Yesterday I pulled my Trex 450 off the shelf and revived it after close to a year of hibernation in its case. The last heli I flew was my Radikal G20 gasser last September, other than that I've been flying exclusively multirotors since last July.

Today I flew the Trex again for the first time in probably a year and I have to say the first few takeoffs and landings were kinda dicey. Helis are a lot different than multi's when taking off and landing and that single large high speed ginsu knife of a rotor makes you want to stand way back and give it plenty of space. Don't know what it is about one large rotor spinning at 2000 rpm vs 4, 6, or 8, eleven or twelve inch rotors spinning but it sure does get your attention.

I got in I think 8 or 9 full battery packs on the heli and in windy conditions which made it a bit more challenging, but it came back to me pretty quick. One thing for certain, I have a much easier time holding orientations on the heli, it's real easy to see which end is which and my fingers "remember" what it needs for correction regardless of which way its pointed. Still, it wasn't easy flying the little critter, unlike any of my multis that will just happily putter along, a heli likes forward speed and you really have to stay sharp while flying one.

They also get bounced around by the wind as bad if not worse than a multi, add to that having collective pitch with the ability to go to negative pitch with the motor at high throttle setting in idle up and it can get exciting very quickly if you forget what you're flying and try to cut the throttle while still in idle up mode! Fortunately I remembered to setup a throttle hold switch when I swapped over to the 11X this morning and even better that I remembered to use it...:eek:

Since I still have a half dozen helis sitting up on the shelf I figured I might as well get back into flying them, it makes for a nice change once in a while especially since I do a lot of flying at an RC Heli club field with the multis.

So, anyone else here fly both?

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ken,
I fly a single-rotor from time to time, it's called an airplane. :D might head to the field with one tomorrow morning if it isn't raining.
Glad to hear all is well in Bean-town.

FOX222

I have to admit I have not flown my helis in a while also since I took up the MK. I had a chance yesterday to go to the field and the weather was beautiful. I wanted to take some photos of the field with the MK and try my X-cell Stratus which I have just installed a Futaba CGY750 flybarless system in. I have to say it is by far the best I have flown to date. While flying FF it felt like a FAI machine and tracked through rolls and loops like a pattern plane. With idle-up 2 I have higher rpm and higher d/r and it was almost scary fast on the cyclic but still very predictable. For the first time my tic-tocs looked like tic-tocs. The big maneuvers like loops and stall turns were very clean and the Stratus has never really been that stable at high speeds. I really felt very comfortable considering I have not flown in 7 or 8 months.
Now I need 3 more of them, damn Futaba!

Kilby

I fly single rotors as well (Eflite Blade mSR, SR & 400). That is what got me into multi-rotors to begin with. I have to admit though, I haven't taken any of my collective pitch helis out since I got serious about AP and building a platform for it. I just got tired of having an hours worth of repair time after barely tapping the blade on landing/take off. I do fly my mSR indoors when ever possible though (our apartment has 14foot ceilings), I love that little thing! I was thinking of grabbing one of the new mCPx's for some indoor 3d flight!

Buzzed

Think I'm going to get one of these

When you get to the page click on the YAK 725 WAVE (bottom right) Looks like a load of fun.

FOX222

If you guys want something to entertain you and will help your MRC flying skills the Blade mcp X is a blast. I was skeptical since I got bored really quick with all their other offerings. I love this little thing and my dog loves to chase it so that just makes it more fun. You can get the bind n fly version if you have a Spktrum radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
cool video but i'm still waiting for some our older crowd to start listing their salvageable used gear in the free classifieds section. new heli's are expensive!
bart