Any multiwii gurus among us?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
My Quadrino board arrived today, swapped out the KK controller on the VC20 430mm frame and did a maiden flight in the backyard as the daylight was fading. Its got a severe case of the wobbles, if this were the KK controller I'd just tweak the gain pots a bit to settle it down and be flying. Not so easy with the multiwii boards, get out the laptop and start tweaking PID settings, looks like a lot of trial and error to get this bird smoothed out.

Anyone have a multiwii and able to give a quick rundown on which settings to change and in which direction to start ridding it of the wobbles? I'd rather not have to go and read hundreds of pages on other forums trying to find a coherent explanation of how to tune one of these critters, otherwise its time for a trip to the flying field with laptop in hand to tweak until I get it right and that's not all that appealing either.

Ken

Crash

Defies Psychics
My Quadrino board arrived today, swapped out the KK controller on the VC20 430mm frame and did a maiden flight in the backyard as the daylight was fading. Its got a severe case of the wobbles, if this were the KK controller I'd just tweak the gain pots a bit to settle it down and be flying. Not so easy with the multiwii boards, get out the laptop and start tweaking PID settings, looks like a lot of trial and error to get this bird smoothed out.

Anyone have a multiwii and able to give a quick rundown on which settings to change and in which direction to start ridding it of the wobbles? I'd rather not have to go and read hundreds of pages on other forums trying to find a coherent explanation of how to tune one of these critters, otherwise its time for a trip to the flying field with laptop in hand to tweak until I get it right and that's not all that appealing either.

Ken
Try this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375728

Also keep in mind that since that was written, the D value in the code has changed from a negative to a positive.

I haven't flown mine yet. It arrived two days after my last motor decided to have a smoke. :mad:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Try this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375728

Also keep in mind that since that was written, the D value in the code has changed from a negative to a positive.

I haven't flown mine yet. It arrived two days after my last motor decided to have a smoke. :mad:

I've been playing with PID tuning on this thing all afternoon and while I've gotten it to the point that it can be flown, no amount of tuning makes it completely wobble free. Only thing I can figure is the firmware isn't playing nice with the speed controllers I'm using, the quad flew nicely with a KK blue board installed and all I did was swap it out for the Quadrino.

I'm kind of thinking I'm just going to sell this one and go back to the KK for now, if I want to play with PID settings all day I can just take one of the MKs off the shelf and see how badly I can make it fly, don't need another headache that requires a laptop to tune, I've got the Hoverfly to fill that need :rolleyes:

For that matter I've got a spare Gaui brain that would probably make it fly better than it does with the Quadrino. I'm sure these are great boards for the right setup, I'm just not all that jazzed up over having another multi that requires a gui interface to change settings and having to hookup, make changes, go test fly, and repeat the process 20 times before figuring out that no amount of changes are going to make it fly right.

There's something to be said for being able to tweak the gain settings with a small screwdriver, the more I try other flight controllers the more I like the KK boards...

Crash

Defies Psychics
What speed controllers are you using? The multiwii does prefer the faster controllers. Turnigy Plush and the rebrands seem to work well.

Try posting your setup in the RCG thread. Someone will know the answer.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
What speed controllers are you using? The multiwii does prefer the faster controllers. Turnigy Plush and the rebrands seem to work well.

Try posting your setup in the RCG thread. Someone will know the answer.

I'm using ESC's that are supposed to be Turnigy compatible/clones, i.e. the same programming card works for both. Apparently the programming mode is compatible but not the speed of the ESC...???

I have a set of turnigys I could try but I hate to use all my spares just to see if it will fix the problem. I did post over on RCG and didn't get much help beyond "decrease P and increase D" which only made it worse.

Ken