AMA Issues new rules for FPV and Stabilized Flight Control

Tahoe Ed

This is an interesting development on the FPV and Autonomous Flight Control at AMA sanctioned fields. Experienced FPV pilots need a spotter, always a good idea, and it appears that waypoint flying and RTH functions are allowed as long as the pilot can regain manual control if necessary. All within VLOF of course. Now to see how many of the local fields actually allow it. I am not hopeful for the Autonomous Flight Control at my field. They have allowed FPV with the Buddy Box in the past so I think the move to allowing a spotter that could take control if necessary may not be a big shift. I am interested in what other fields are doing in light of these new rules. Also since the AMA researched global rules for FPV by other countries rules on FPV at controlled fields. How does this compare with what those of you that are outside the US have to deal with?View attachment 7451View attachment 7452

Attachments

• AMA FPV Guidlines.pdf
    335.8 KB · Views: 334
  • AMA Stabilization and Waypoint Piloting.pdf
    336.1 KB · Views: 208

vulcan2go

We have worked hard here in the UK to gain support for FPV flight. Our equivalent to the FAA is the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority).

I was part of the team that recently secured a "general exemption" that allows FPV pilots to fly without the use of a buddy lead subject to certain criteria.

The basic rules are:

A competent observer must accompany the FPV pilot
The FPV aircraft must remain in visual line of sight
The ceiling height is 400ft

The link to the new exemption is here where you will find the fine detail.

Cheers,